Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 02-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
tstex

time for fix travertine tiles

Hello to All,

Figured out that the efflorescence on our travertine is from the travertine coping above and probably the thinset used to install it. We have had 8-10" rains before and no problem. But, when you have 40-50" of rain from a hurricane, all the rules are gone. My goal is to seal the vertical tiles and all the coping and tops of the walls, spa and pool.

Enclosed is a pic of the efflorescence. I am looking for solutions on how to prep, remove and restore/seal the travertine tiles. we have all travertine and any acid or acid based products will etch and ruin the stone.

Any and all specific products makes/models and tools needed and any detailed processes would be very much appreciated. Since I'll be working right by the pool waterlines, I'm sure whatever I do will be falling into the water.

Also, about 1350 sq ft of pool decking and covered summer kitchen area is travertine too. Need to clean the these tiles of mold, dirt and other, but I am not going to seal. Any specific recommendations on this would be appreciated too.

Enclosed are 2 pics of the pool ...thank you, tstex

PS - sorry the pics are not in the correct perspective
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
CaliGrown

Get in touch with a pool service company, they can come out and get the waterline tile looking good. As far as sealer, once you seal once you will have to seal again and again to maintain the surface. We’ve done lots of travertine for decking and coping, it cleans up well with a pool bristle brush (make sure there’s no metal strands in the brush though). As said before once you seal you will have to keep sealing, we’ve found that sealing exterior work will only last from a few months to a year before it has to be redone, might just be the California Sun though.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:06 AM   #3
tstex

Thanks, but I'm seeking advice on how to do this myself...tstex

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase