Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #16
HS345
Tile Contractor

This is one of the reasons we don't recommend latex caulk.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #17
GHR

Well, if not for being readily available and the only matched color I can get in store I would not have used it to begin with. It's supposed to be "siliconized", but I am skeptical of that.
In 2014 when I built a tub surround I began with the matched variety of tobacco brown in a much larger space of the tub/wall joint. Ended up much the same way mostly from over dispensing. (That is another gripe with this caulk. It keeps dispensing even if I take it out of the caulk gun) In 2014 swapped to brown silicone II which was far and away better choice. This time there is no silicone II that is close to match Haystack Polyblend grout. Almond *might* work but it actually too light.

Anyway, I cut out most of the caulk, but some still remains and I think I will try a nylon brush to get all of it out. I'm sure glad that water tight is not essential being a vanity backsplash. I'm sure I nicked the kerdiband with the razor. Probably not deep but surely gouged it a bit behind the tile edges.

I'm almost tempted to try this stuff one more time. It actually worked out OK in the corner just not the counter/wall joint. I'm not sure if I did something different or it just stuck better there.

Last edited by GHR; 02-06-2018 at 02:01 PM.
GHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #18
Obo2

was the joint cleaned really well?

anytime i use tape be it caulk or paint it gets pulled off right away. I also like to use a grout float or caulk shaping tool to get very even joints and to help push the caulk in to the joint fully.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #19
GHR

Thumbs up

The spaces were clean as I could make them.
Three days of vacuuming and scraping to be 100% assured me of that.

Whelp, in spite of my misgivings after cleaning the bad grout away and vacuuming the drier bits as well as clumps that were still sticky I tried this caulk again. Mostly to satisfy my thoughts of whether I did something wrong namely not removing the tape immediately.

So I applied tape leaving as little tile as possible visible, but mostly 1/16" since there is some variation in my wall making for some tiny waves in
the backsplash.

I applied a new bead of this caulk using a wet finger to smooth it out and removed all tape right away.

The EXACT same thing happened! The tape pulled on the caulk and some places the caulk came away from the space.

This time though I was ready and I re-smooth much of it back into place requiring me to clean the tiles of the residue. I still will have some clean up with a razor when all of it is dry, but it's good enough and 10Mx better than yesterday.

Now to see how long this stuff takes to set so I can grout and not disturb it.

Comparing the pics this morning to now is a world of difference.
However, I will never ever use Polyblend caulk again!

And I'm still after returning it with a note of dissatisfaction...

Thanks everyone. And if the mods want to join this with my other thread
I guess it has migrated back to that subject...
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #20
nelsonkoehn
showers & more

Get a tube of ColorRite and don't look back. It'll cost you $30, but it's much better.

That acrylic stuff has its place but I don't think it's in a wet environment. It tends to get stiff. It'll mold sooner.

I prefer tooling without tape. Careful with the placement and clean it up with lots of soapy water and a steady finger.

tile.nkoehn.com
nelsonkoehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #21
GHR

Well it's done for now. It will hold up. It's not really a wet environment per se either.

It's essentially a "powder room" 1/2-bath vanity for my mother.
She is going to be 80 this summer... The most water it will see ever would be from brushing teeth. I rarely use this bathroom at all. And we have few guests.

I started in the 1/2 bath since I needed somewhere for her to put her meds which current reside on kitchen counter so I can get onto tiling the kitchen this Summer.

When I get to the kitchen yes I will get the color rite or anything else BUT CBP caulk. It will also be a while for that.

It's about to be in the "nice" part of Houston's yearly weather Feb-March-April b4 the hot season (rest of the year) begins and I have a backlog of outdoor projects I need to get onto.

I'm the President of the homeowners' association of 1970s condos where we live. We need our patio fences rebuilt and yours truly is designated to work on that. I'm hell bent and determined to get at least 3 of the worst fences done in Spring as money will allow.

Last edited by GHR; 02-06-2018 at 08:34 PM.
GHR is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase