Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
Terri

Question re maintenance on acrylic grout

I have never tried the premixed acrylic grout products but my installer likes them and am thinking of using the Mapei Flexcolor CQ on a small kitchen island that features porcelain tile. My question is what happens down the line? My installer likes the fact this product does not need sealing. Am wondering how well the stuff holds up and what happens when it does deteriorate? Can you apply new over old? It sounds like it would be hard to remove? Like maybe impossible? Does it need maintenance? Counter tops are continually wiped down with wet sponges. I don't know if it was a disclaimer or not, but the product blurb said for "intermittent wet areas" like showers and baths. Would love to hear some opinions. It is also expensive. I want grout that, if it does not outlast the tile, can at least be restored without ripping everything up. Elephants could dance on our counter tops and porcelain is pretty long wearing stuff.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:49 PM   #2
smifwal

It is great stuff and I use it almost exclusively (unless something else is speced by the architect )since I stumbled on to it. easy clean up,bullet proof, flexable, the new will stick to the old. Hopefully the mapei rep will chime in here.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
Terri

Thanks. I read the very long thread regarding installation and various dos and don'ts with the product, and while I very much like the overall product profile, I cannot find any information on how it actually performs under daily use. A small kitchen island gets a lot of abuse. If it weren't working well I imagine the pros here would be getting a lot of call backs, tho and that doesn't seem to be happening.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Stand by, Terri. I'll ping our Mapei guy Dan.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Flexcolor CQ is a good choice for your countertop. I've had it in my house for 3 years (with a kid and various dogs) and it holds up well to stains and wear. As with any tile and grout you should wipe up stains quickly but CQ doesn't require a separate sealer. Give it 7 days to cure before getting it wet and you should have no issues.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase