Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
kba1980

Schluter Ditra and Mapei Eco Prim Grip

Hello folks first time poster long time viewer. I will be installing Schluter Ditra XL on a concrete floor that has had VCT tiles down for 65 years I have those up and I have gotten up as much of the cutback as I can itís basically transparent. I would like to put down Mapei Eco Prim Grip and then a SLU but the SLU will be in spots but I thought about priming the whole floor since the primer has a good bit of grit to it and I would think it enhance the bond. Would Schluter All-Set be a good choice I understand Schluter wants a non modified thinset for Ditra over slab but I assume this would be ok being itís there thinset and they say it can be used with any Schluter product. Also Mapei recommends a a modified thinset for going over the primer thatís why I chose the Schluter All-Set.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Brad.

The only primer that should go under a SLC is the primer made exclusively for that manufacturer's SLC.

What SLC are you considering using?

And when you say the SLC is going to be "in spots", can you give us a better idea of how much you're talking about?

Old 01-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
kba1980

That would be the Eco Prim Grip or that is what Mapei told me I am using Mapei self leveling underlayment.

Yes filling in some low spots and feather the edges I have some spots that are 1/4 low give or take.

Last edited by kba1980; 01-02-2018 at 07:08 PM.
kba1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
kba1980

Any other opinions on this lol they are more than welcome!

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Brad.

If this is your first "go" at self leveling cement, it would be good to emphasize how this material isn't really completely self leveling. That you need to push it around to the general area where it needs to go. Pancake batter is the most accurate desciption of the stuff I've ever heard. And trying to feather it down to a feather's edge isn't likely to turn out anywhere near as flat as you'd hope.

Would you object to adding more material so that 100% of the floor is covered with the material so that it can more easily flow and you've got a better shot at actually achieving a flat surface?

Or would you object to using a patching material instead?

Old 01-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #6
kba1980

Hello Tool Guy honestly I could do either one and I donít object to either one of those options. Really my main concern is the primer I have another bathroom in the same house that the floor is level but still some cutback residue left I would just like to know more less if I can prime the floor with the Mapei primer on the floor thatís level and if the schluter All-Set and ditra will work with the primer. I called schluter and they said it would with their All-Set but I got the impression the gentleman I spoke with was new or was confused lol.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

You have a variety of questions here so I'll do my best to answer them:

Yes, ECO Prim Grip can be used over cutback adhesive as long as you've removed as much as possible and everything left is well-bonded. The bond of the primer will only be as good as what it's going over.

If you're leveling over ECO Prim Grip, we would (not surprisingly) suggest using our leveler. If you're buying through Lowes you can find our Self Leveler Plus

After that, we recommend our Uncoupling Membrane Mortar for under and over the uncoupling membrane. If you use our products as the system, we offer a MAPEI Warranty. We also offer Mapeguard UM membrane if you want a MAPEI system instead of a mix and match approach.

Feel free to give us a call to talk through your project, the number is below.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
kba1980

Think you Mapei for the response and I understand about wanting your products used together I have another bathroom with a level floor and only some cutback residue left I want to prime over it with Eco prim Grip and apply thinset and lay the ditra will the ditra have a problem sticking to the primer thatís my question and on your website it says to use a modified thinset over Eco prim grip but schluter says an unmodfied thinset thatís why I chose schluter all-set because schluter allows their modified thinset to be installed under ditra.

I really hope I am not to confusing it is not my intention at all I just want to know if the ditra will stick to the Eco prim Grip because isnít it latex based and will the primer stick to a pretty much transparent cutback adhesive.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #9
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The bond to the primer should be fine over the primer, but if the floor is not prepped properly, the bond of the primer to the floor may not be!

To get an idea, after you've scraped it as clean as you can, drop some water on top. IF it beads up, you have problems...if it gets absorbed, it should work. Some thinsets will work fine over cutback without a primer. FWIW, the actual bond of the fleece to the substrate isn't all that strong - specified to exceed 50psi. A good thinset bond to a tile itself will vary, but 150-500psi is a reasonable range depending on the materials and tile used. The weakest link is between the substrate and the fleece.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
kba1980

Thanks Jim I not only scraped the cutback I ground it off no chemicals and I used hot water and the floor soaked the water up in a few hours.
Attached Images

Last edited by kba1980; 01-03-2018 at 05:57 PM.
kba1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:00 PM   #11
kba1980

Before after pics above in the after pic only 3/4 of the floor is done but I hope itís enough what I done from what it was itís a nightmare in a small bathroom.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase