Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
Tilefixrequest

How to fix this backsplash corner (with pictures)

Hello,
We are on the final piece of our kitchen remodel and have had our contractor install the kitchen backsplash. Most of it looks great BUT the one corner most noticeable from the kitchen table area has several flaws. The schluter jolly miter does not look great(this may just be how that metal looks in the corners? Not what it looked like in the design book). However the 2 biggest issues I have are with the dark gray mark in the tile and the build up of epoxy grout in the corner (we are just going to paint touch up over the burnt mark on the cabinet). We asked him to come back and he "fixed" the gray mark by putting grout over it (which I have removed) and did nothing about the grout build up in the corner.

My questions:
1. Am I being picky? Does epoxy grout look like that in the corners normally? We had used epoxy grout in our bathroom and it did not.

2. Is it possible to take that one tile with the dark mark out and replace it? If so, how?

3. Is there a way to get a clean line on the epoxy grout in the corner?

Thank you - we really want to be done with this project but for the money we are spending, I would like to sit at the kitchen table and not see that corner!
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
rmckee84

1. Doesn't look very good, you arent being too picky. Grout looks like that in corners when someone doesnt take the time to clean it off or protect other surfaces.
2. Possible, yes. You'll need to remove the grout surrounding the tile. After that there's several ways to make removal easier. Cutting the tile across the face with a grinder then using a chisel you may be able to break it into smaller chunks so you can pry it off. If it were me I'd want the profile redone, that is a poor attempt of a mitre...
3. Simply using tape or a small tool to shape the grout is all it would have taken. I'm not a big fan of the grout between the wall and the profile.
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Tilefixrequest

Thank you Ryan,
I am not sure our tile installer is capable/willing to redo the profile and replace the tiles. We may have to bring in someone else to fix - how likely are we to get someone to do that small but precise job? We have plenty of tile and profile edge left.

One more quick question - what can we do about the grout at the cabinet now? Can it be sanded/dug out?

I appreciate your advice!
Old 12-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
jwmezzanotte

You probably can pick that grout out of the corners carefully. Might scratch the cabinet a bit if not careful enough. If it's cement grout it'll come off fairly easy, if it's epoxy some heat might help. I'd be worried about heat on the cabinet though, could damage it.

Is that the PVC plastic Schluter Jolly trim? If so you might be able to cut that top piece off with a knife or better yet oscillating saw. If you can get it off clean I'm sure you could make a nicer miter than that and glue a new piece of the tile trim onto the top (cut off the part of the tile trim that's meant to go behind the tile and then just glue the remaining piece to the tile edge.)

I think it's possible to clean all that up without removing a tile. It'll be finicky work though. And if it goes bad, your no worse off for trying. The removing a couple tiles option is still there.

They should have just ended the tile at the edge of the upper cabinet and done away with that miter altogether IMO
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
rmckee84

Getting someone else to just fix that is possible, but if they are an actual installer odds are you'll be looking at being charged for a full day regardless of how quick it is done.
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
cngodfather1

yikes!
Remove the grout. remove the top piece. grind the corner correctly with a grinder. you may need to repaint the cabinet a little.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
surgeon

Dremel or oscillating tool comes handy here. If diy... Osc tool on corner grout spot for sure. The edge part, either but have to be very slow and precise if doing in-place. Well worth the $30 tool for that and your time.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase