Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 01-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Section drawing for entry linear drain over TJIís

Does anyone have a section drawing for how to handle an entry placed linear drain over TJI’s?

I’ve done linear drains on the entry in the past where I had high enough subfloor to work with, also with dimensional lumber joists that could be shaved . But never with a three-quarter inch plywood subfloor and TJI’s.

I’ve done and know how to handle removal of subfloor and add blocking to drop subfloor 3/4 of an inch for new deck sections between each joist for dimensional lumber, but for TJI’s the only thing I have seen are clips that in installation seem to be wonky in terms of stability and maintaining flatness as the clips slightly vary in their bends from one to the next.

For my upcoming install I’ll probably use a Kerdi linear drain which will need to be slightly recessed from the plane of the (existing subfloor outside the pan area). On top of bathroom subfloor planning to use RPM mats 1/2” thick to run floor heat and encapsulate with SLC. So I’ll have a table surface approximately 1/2 inch above the plywood subfloor.

So what did the rest you guys do? Block the web of the TJI’s and then attached to that? Or just what? Would like to know if there’s a standard, or at least best practices.

Pic of clip option below
Attached Images

Last edited by Topspin; 01-22-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
wwhitney

Do you need the subfloor recessed in the field of the shower, or is the only concern the drain body itself?

If only the drain body needs to break the plane of the subfloor, I could see cutting out the 3/4" subfloor just in the footprint of the drain body. Then in each joist bay, bridge the gap with a piece of 3/4" plywood that extends under each side of the gap and is screwed and wood glued to the underside of the subfloor. For good measure, if space permits you could add a metal strap across each TJI top flange, screwed to the top flange and the plywood infill on either side of it.

If the drain body would intersect the top flange of the TJIs, then you'll need to reframe a portion of the floor system, since you can't cut or notch the flanges of a TJI.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 01-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Thanks Wayne. But if I recess just the linear Drain then itíll be too thin to deck-mud the pan, right nearest the drain.

Hey Pauly - how do yo do it? Or is everything in Houston on slab?

Old 01-22-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
wwhitney

So your tile substrate outside the shower is 1-1/4" above the top of the TJIs, and you'd like the plywood subfloor recessed in the whole shower area to allow a deck-mud slope with a minimum thickness of 1-1/4"?

I think your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer of the TJIs to see if they have a recommended detail. If not, then sandwiching the web of each TJI with kiln-dried dimensional lumber is generally a good approach. The details would depend on the size of the top flange and the web thickness.

I've wondered in a situation like yours if it would be workable to make the slope with wood, like a sloped roof. I.e. assuming the drain is running perpendicular to the joists, and the TJIs are 16" o.c. and level, cut 2x tapers that are 1/4" thick at the drain and rise at the desired slope. Then the vertical buildup is TJI, tapered spacers, 3/4" plywood, 1/4" cement board, and Kerdi.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 01-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
tile lackey

Is this an upstairs bath? or what's below? Also, how much more room do you need?
Old 02-03-2018, 11:45 PM   #6
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

From the responses above I don't think I've communicated this effectively. See the pics below for a better idea of the concept:

If you have done this before, or have specific knowledge on how to do this properly please advise on proper procedure and materials. I don't want best guesses, I can do that myself What I'm looking for is the standard for blocking, fastening and gluing when working with TJI's.

I assume that I'll need to flush the web area from top to bottom with something. Ply or dimensional?

How best to secure that to the webbing section? Glue and screw I assume, what method? S's of construction adhesive and screws that connect both sides of the web flushed out panels.

Then for the blocking I planned on 2x4 glued and screwed with likely 4" screws.

Then glue the new subfloor panel strips, between the TJI top blocks, to the
blocking. Subfloor glue, other construction adhesive?

What do you think?

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodpro...y_detail/9030/

These are typical TJI installation details which came from Weyerhauser's website. Each manufacturer sometimes throws in a little installation variety for their joists. To find installation requirements for the specific joist in your case, look for a stamp or tag on a joist, often near the ends.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Thanks Dana. Still basking in the sun?

Old 02-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #9
dhagin

No, I don't bask all that much.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
Old 02-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #10
dhagin

...one other thing i'll mention about TJ's. If you're stuck on how to handle a certain situation, or unsure of the strength/stiffness of a floor, give the manufacturer's tech support folks a call. They are sometimes staffed with very sharp engineer types who can usually help. They can run the numbers on the floor and direct you to the proper documentation if needed too.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase