Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-30-2017, 05:59 AM   #1
louky

Floor leveling, large area, not for tile

Even though this isn't specifically a tile question, I hope the combined expertise of the members of this forum can help.

I am completing a dormer bumpout on the attic on a 60 year old cape cod with a central chimney. The house has settled somewhat around the chimney. Since I had the flooring up in the new bath area (which will be tiled) to double the joists and access plumbing and electrical, I was able to cure most of this by shimming prior to putting underlayment back down, and a small amount of FLC.

This is a 40' wide cape cod with a chimney near the ridge line, and a central beam the is parallel to the 40' dimension. The front wall of the house is lower than the beam by 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch. I could stand this being at a "slant" but the floor breaks at the ridge line where it heads back down on the other side.

I want to do the remainder of the space in some sort of engineered wood floor. I really don't want to rip up all the existing sub floor (T & G 1 x 4 pine) which is in otherwise good condition to level the joists. It would take a huge amount of FLC to do this volume wise, and I think it would be difficult to seal all of it of to prevent the FLC from running out anyway.

I was planning on using some sort of proprietary underlayment under the wood flooring (Pergo gold or similar).

What I "WANT" there to be is some sort of compound that is thicker and, cheaper than the self leveling compound normally used for tile work, that could be screeded out for this job, not necessarily self leveling.

Is there anything like this, or has anyone dealt with a similar situation?

Thanks in advance.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase