Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-23-2017, 12:31 AM   #1
2002sheds

Too much thinset

Hi All,
I tiled a backsplash yesterday with mosaic (sheets) tile, and I now have dried thinset in many of the joints. I tried to clean the joints as I went, but did not get all of them.
I used AcrylPro pre-mixed adhesive for setting the tiles. It is bright white, and so is the grout that I intend to use.
How clean do the joints need to be before applying the grout. There are hundreds of joints with at least some adhesive in them. I am such a noob that I can't tell the difference between the adhesive and grout in this case...
Thanks in advance for any help!

David
Unread 01-23-2017, 06:01 AM   #2
CaliGrown

Razor knife and a steady hand will be your best approach. Since it's set with mastic you can try brushing out the thinset with a grout brush or toothbrush.

What kind of mosaic is it? (I.e. Glass, stone, ceramic, porcelain)

You want to get out any protruding thinset from the joints and ideally you'd want a depth of 2/3 the thickness of the tile cleared out.

What type of grout are you planning to use?
(I.e. Sanded, non sanded, epoxy, single component)
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
2002sheds

Hi Chris,
Thanks -- that is the removal process I will follow. The mosaic is ceramic tile in 12 inch sheets. I am new enough at this that I did not understand the difference between adhesive and grout. I called the tech support number at Custom (the makers of AcrylPro and many other HD-carried products), and asked how long for the adhesive to cure on the quarter round tiles (that are popping off) that are also part of this backsplash, and what's the difference between the adhesive and same-colored grout I am going to use anyway? The rep said recommended a Portland cement-based product for the quarter round tiles, and said that "adhesive needs air to dry (enough air will never make it to the amount of adhesive behind the quarter round tiles), while grout is a Portland cement-based product". I filled in my knowledge gap by asking "Does that mean that grout cures by chemical reaction?", to which the rep gave the short response "yes"...

It must kill these guys to have to talk to novices like me everyday, but I expect that 99% or more of their calls are from people just as clueless as I am. It is their own special hell...

The grout that I am planning to use is Fusion Pro. Now I am a bit gun shy. Should I be looking at something else instead?

Thanks,
David
Unread 01-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
CaliGrown

Fusion pro is fine, just follow the directions in the link and you shouldn't get too mad while using it.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...0f68c8294e.pdf

For your quarter rounds, you could probably find a damaged bag of thinset for a discount, or get the small batches if they are available at you HD.
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
2002sheds

Too much thinset

Hi Chris,
Great idea. The Custom rep recommended their Tile Repair and Mortar, since it is Portland cement based. I an guessing that it is similar to other thinset. I was already stupid enough to use really old thinset because I didn't wanna drag/buy a 50 pound bag for such a small job. Guess how THAT turned out
Thanks for the thumbs-up on the Fusion Pro product. I will definitely be more careful in my application of adhesive or thinset in the future now that I understand the bigger picture a little better.

Thanks,
David
Unread 01-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi David,

I'm going to recommend an extra pound of patience to deal with the advice I'm going to lend. I'm going to advise that you put your grout away and don't be antsy to grout. Get all the excess mastic cleaned from the joints before proceeding. If you can see any excess mastic in the joints when looking from a shallow angle, it's a sign that it's going interfere with the grout and it will be "peeking through" the grout when you're done. You ideally want 2/3rds of the depth of the grout joints clean for the grout to occupy. You want it neat. So, take your time. Be safe. Take your time. And clean the joints well enough so that you don't have another headache with your grout. And when it's all clean and you've got all your quarter round tiles secured...

Then, and only then, should you think about grouting. Do make sure to leave the space between the tiles and the countertop open. Grout doesn't belong in this gap. Ideally you will have left a 1/8" gap to be filled with a flexible sealant like 100% silicone. This material is flexible enough to simply deform (instead of cracking like stiff grout will) when the countertop expands and contracts from heat and moisture.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
Todd Groettum
Theoriginaltileguytodd

The edges of those tiles MUST be clean....You can use a Mild Tile cleaner and a small stiff bristle brush to clean thinset residue from tile edges...If the edges are not clean You will have additional headaches..

theoriginaltileguytodd
Todd Groettum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2017, 01:06 AM   #8
2002sheds

Too much thinset

Hi Todd, Bubba,
I have taken your advice and have carefully cleaned the joints. One of the few upsides of this adhesive is that it acts like caulk, and comes off in rubbery ropes and chunks. I will never use this stuff again, though...
Before I grout, I have a little more cleaning to do. Some of the tiles have adhesive on the faces. The Custom rep said that acetone will take the stuff off, but to be careful not to let it contact the adhesive that I want in place.
Does this sound legit? Is there some other way that I should clean these faces?

Thanks,
David
Unread 01-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #9
Todd Groettum
Theoriginaltileguytodd

That should do it...Nail Polish remover, Goo Gone were all in the ol tool box even though they saw little use beyond cleaning the occasional tool..

theoriginaltileguytodd
Todd Groettum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
2002sheds

Thinset woes

Hi Todd,
Thanks! And I should've asked...is a Scotchbrite pad enough muscle? Or should I be trying to scrape somehow?

Thanks,
David
Unread 01-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #11
2002sheds

Too much thinset

Hi All,
Thanks to the excellent advice I received in this form, my project is a success!!!

It looks awesome. Hopefully the photo uploaded

Thanks Again,
DavidName:  IMG_7798.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  40.7 KB
Unread 01-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #12
2002sheds

Forum...😃

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase