Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-16-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
pokerliz

mudding a larrrggee shower floor. Help??

Hi guys. quick question on mudding a shower. big shower. 90 long by 48 wide. The drain is not centered but it is 26" from the front wall. The rain shower head only comes out 12", so it's not like there will be a large spray to the back portion of the shower.

Anyway, I did the mud calculator but it's saying this:

Oh, this is over a hot mop, pre-sloped to standards. (yes Calif!)
what is the proper slope for the floor for this large field?
Also, can I mud floor first and then walls or walls first? Having a hard time figuring out the tile placement for the accent wall because I need to have the floor in place first to measure.
Attached Images

Unread 01-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Todd Groettum
Theoriginaltileguytodd

get 5 80# bags of sand mix..400 lbs should be plenty with 30+ s/f ( you might get by with 4 but get 5)....that long run should run an 1/8" per foot of slope minimum...Your slope will be a bit more severe on the short end which is one of the downsides of this type setup and why so many are going to Trench drains with the larger showers...

theoriginaltileguytodd
Todd Groettum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
pokerliz

Thanks Todd. I had wanted to go w/a trench in the design phase. I guess I should have come here first to ask.

Can you tell me if I can do floor first and then mud walls or do walls have to come first?
Unread 01-17-2017, 06:31 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

IF you don't use the minimum 1/4"/foot slope, it's harder to ensure you don't end up with an flat or low spots when the slope is lower, and you'll end up with more moisture in the setting bed (hope the weepholes are not clogged!). IMHO, this begs for a surface applied membrane and a linear drain verses a center, conventional round one.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
Todd Groettum
Theoriginaltileguytodd

I agree the 1/4" is better but that will give a Very severe drop on the short end and make that mud work far more difficult..Take the time on that 1/8" per foot, its tricky for a pro to get right so keep your eye on the prize... Use a good level, Lay in Mud screeds first and fill in checking constantly....USE a GOOD Level!!!

theoriginaltileguytodd
Unread 01-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
IF you don't use the minimum 1/4"/foot slope, it's harder to ensure you don't end up with an flat or low spots when the slope is lower, and you'll end up with more moisture in the setting bed...
Not to mention that plumbing code and tile industry standards require the 1/4-inch per foot slope as a minimum.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2017, 12:03 AM   #7
pokerliz

Thanks Todd,,,I think I'm gonna hire out for that one. I've only done 1 mud bed and although it was passable, I want perfection on this bad boy!

I had planned on doing the 1/4", but what if I did 3/8" ? better? I think that 1/2 will look like a ski slope
Unread 01-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
Todd Groettum
Theoriginaltileguytodd

If you can Move the Drain I would do that...then do the 1/4".....I have done a couple minimal slope showers due to piss poor planning in the mechanicals department....I would bet your Pro will suggest same....

One thing...if you do go to moving that drain, Perhaps consider a square Drain system like Noble's.....Great Look, great product and wont break the bank..

http://noblecompany.com/products/clamping-ring-drains/

theoriginaltileguytodd

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase