Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
kbrophy

Kerdi membrane over drywall mud

I am getting ready to install kerdi in my bathtub surround. I have hardibacker all around the tub but the installers used drywall mud to join where the drywall and hardibacker meet and this seam extends into the tub where I want the kerdi to be.
Question:
I started to sand it off but is another option to prime the the mudded areas? If so, latex or oil?

Also, I really want to tile to the ceiling (just using 3x6 tiles) and also have mud above the showerhead height. Tile shop told me to just use mastik up there because it will not get very wet and I don't know whether that is all hardibacker or partially drywall at the very top.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Name:  IMG_2688.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  20.7 KB

Sorry if the pic is sideways :/
Unread 01-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #2
rmckee84

1. Best thing to do is remove as much mud as possible. A sanding block, and a wet sponge can get the majority off.
2. While there are some that are technically approved for intermittent wet areas I personally would have it anywhere near a shower. It costs more than thinset, contains organic matter that can grow mold and mildew, and also doesn't jive with schluter products.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Drywall installers usually use the premixed drywall mud. If that's the case, fill a spray bottle with plain water and spritz an area very well, let it sit for a few minutes maybe adding some more if you see it drying out, and you'll be able to remove most of it with a putty knife as a paste (no dust!). What's left will usually wash off with a sponge fairly easily. If they used a setting compound they mixed up with water (i.e., dry powder), then spraying it won't work! You'll want an alkali resistant mesh tape for the seams...well, you really don't need that at all if you're putting Kerdi over it! The Kerdi is way stronger than the mesh tape and will perform the same function.

Unless this is a steam shower, which it doesn't appear to be, regular drywall should be fine on the ceiling. YOu may want to add more drywall screws, since installers often don't put in enough. If you have the industry standard amount and spacing of fasteners, drywall will hold tile just fine on the ceiling. If there's a joint and you're not using Kerdi there, I would use the mesh tape on the seams. You do not need to do this prior to tiling, you can do it during. If there's a seam there, and the tapered edges are at the seam, you might want to fill that area with the tape and thinset prior, so that it is level with the rest of the surface. If you're using a large enough tile, it probably wont' make any difference, but otherwise, your tile might follow that dip when setting the tile. THe magic to getting tile to hold overhead is properly embedding them and having the proper consistency of your mortar.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase