Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
blender

Master bath and vanity remodel questions.

Hello all.

It has been a good while since I've been back here, and I see not much has changed
The usual suspects are still around, offering the same excellent quality advice, peppered with a healthy pinch of tile humor. I salute you ladies and gents, for keeping this great place alive and well.

I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom/vanity area. It's a complete gut, so I have a nice "fresh canvas" to tile upon.
The plan:
- 3'x5' applied Kerdi membrane shower (drywall substrate) with a mud pan and Kerdi drain.
- 2x4 curb stacked 3 high, wrapped with drywall
- Ditra on the bathroom floor.

The "project manager" chose 4x10 white ceramic for shower walls that flows into 44" tile wainscoting around the entire room, all edges finished with a thin metal Schluter profile, all field tile everywhere no trim pieces. Shower floor will be 2" white hexagon mosaic, bathroom floor will be a dark grey 12x24 porcelain that resembles concrete in texture and color variation. Everything will be grouted with the same medium grey grout, most likely Spectralock as I have experience with it from my previous remodel and I very much like the results.

I am pretty far along in the initial stages. All plumbing, electrical and framing is complete. All drywall is up and taped/mudded, except for the shower area.
Floor is 2x10 joists 16" o.c., 3/4" T&G subfloor to which I added 5/8" exterior grade AC ply, with staggered seams, generously screwed into the 3/4 layer below (attempting to miss all the joists of course). The floor is quite flat (though not level), with the exception of a couple of minor dips which i plan to correct with a feathering patching compound such as the Ardex Henry patch. After the floor is sufficiently flattened, I plan to lay down Ditra with Versabond.

I am currently researching setting materials. Considering an LFT mortar to help with keeping these large 12x24 tiles from sagging. I am looking at CBP mortars from the Orange depot. Versabond LFT or their Natural Stone and Large Tile premium mortar. Both are modified, which would upset Schluter if i use those over Ditra, but it won't upset me as long as the stuff works well. I have opportunity to give the mortar plenty of cure time, as this is a weekend-only endeavor without a strict deadline.

Do you guys have a recommendation to use one or the other for my installation. Should I look elsewhere, for a better option?

Thanks in advance, and i'll be back with more questions shortly.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome back, Pavel!

I don't have experience with those mortars over Ditra. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

But why not just go with DitraSet for setting the tile? It'll do what you want in terms of support, won't take any excess time to harden, it's a decent price, and will keep your Schluter warranty in place.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2017, 11:29 PM   #3
CaliGrown

Use both of those when a Customs Warranty is requested. Natural Stone and Large Tile is the better of the two, though you can save a few bucks with Versabond LFT.

Haven't used either over Ditra though so can't say much to that effect, when I do use Schluter products I've had good results with Mapei's Kerabond and used it for setting some 12" by 24" over Kerdi on shower walls and it's been 8 months with no issue. They also make a Kerabond T that is the LFT version.
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
blender

Thanks for chiming in guys, appreciate your feedback.
I was looking for an easy-to-access mortar, having Home Depot 5 min from my house presents a convenience factor that can't be beat.

Agree that DitraSet is probably the better choice for my application, so I'll look into local shops that carry it. Lowe's is around 20 min away, so I'll look into Kerabond as well.

Thanks again!
Unread 01-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
blender

Ditraset is proving to be difficult to track down locally.. i swear it's the unicorn of mortars

Laticrete 317 is, however, readily available from a local Daltile @$13/bag.
Seems like it gets pretty favorable reviews from the pros here.
Good option?
Unread 01-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Laticrete 317 is a good quality unmodified mortar.

If you want what used to be called medium bed, now a large & heavy tile mortar, I'd keep looking for the Ditra-Set. Take a look at this dealer locator for Bostik. They list Dal, but apparently your Dal doesn't have it if you're quoting prices for other stuff there.

In the search box, type in: Ditra-Set

...with the hyphen in the name. If you omit it, the locator won't give you any results.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
blender

I got pretty buried with work, so this project dragged out quite a bit longer than I anticipated originally.

Things are coming along nicely though. All the tile is set and looking good.
I gave up on the DitraSet search, and ended up going with Versabond LFT for setting the floor tiles. It worked quite well. I gave the mortar plenty of cure time, which was easy due to the aforementioned setbacks because of work.
I took my sweet time with the substrate prep and was rewarded with a very flat floor
I will post pics once it's all grouted and lookin' pretty.

I do have another question.
I would like to use a solid piece of granite for my curb top, but I am having a hell of a time getting any of the local fabricators to do the job for me. Nobody seems to have any offcuts that are large enough (6.5" x 58") to fabricate the top, and I really don't want to buy a whole granite slab for this.

I am in Southern California, West LA area. I know this kind of a job is small potatoes for most places. Do you guys have any trusted shops in the area that you could connect me with, that would be willing to help out?

As always, very much appreciate your responses and all the help.
I wouldn't be able to do ANY of this, without this forum.

Cheers!
Unread 06-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #8
ZZZK

Blender there are a whole bunch of granite/tile suppliers in the North Hollywood area. Do a search and you'll find a whole list. Start calling them and see if anyone has anything for you, I bet someone will.

Last edited by ZZZK; 06-06-2017 at 06:07 PM.
ZZZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2017, 02:51 AM   #9
JJG1170

bonanza trade and supply in North Hollywood. I picked up Ditra Set there. they have enrything, huge warehouse!
Unread 06-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #10
blender

Haven't searched in North Hollywood, as it's a bit far from me, but i'll check it out.

Good lookin' out guys, thanks for the tips!
Unread 06-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #11
houndzilla

Schluter has their own mortars out now too, maybe one of suppliers near you carries them?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase