Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
swigley

Fusion Pro Grout Problems

I would love some help on Fusion Pro Grout problems. I am sick to my stomach right now thinking about all the time and $ that has been put into this and thinking I have a grout issue.

Fusion Pro was used on my shower walls in May. It had 2 MONTHS of dry time before we finished the bathroom and started using the shower so I know that isn't the issue. Problem is if I scrub it with a medium stiffness brush, it just comes out. I can rub my finger along the grout and you can see the residue as well. It isn't "soft" to the touch, but it definitely isn't hard like the Mapei grout we used on the shower floor. Thank goodness we didn't use the FP on the floor!!

I have the FP on my vanity backsplash as well that does not get wet and I can even scrape that out with my finger nail.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is? I see a lot of goof reviews on this stuff, but also on Amazon read several that have the same problem I do. The thought of having to remove all of this and redo makes me sick. I should be able to clean it without it coming out! Now I have several places to go back and fill in.

I know my contractor did it right and it's not like this stuff has to be mixed since it is pre-mixed so he didn't screw that up either.

Thanks to anyone with ideas!!
Sheila
Unread 01-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Sheila.

Here's a lengthy thread from the Professionals' Hangout about that particular product and you might get some insight from browsing through it.

I've deleted your duplicate thread on this problem so we can keep all the comments here in one place.

I've personally got only a few projects out there with Fusion Pro, one of them a heavy use shower, and have seen no such problems. Let's see if any of our other visitors have seen what you're seeing.

Have you checked the manufacture date on the product container?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
swigley

Fusion Pro

Thanks! I did read that thread before I purchased it in May and seemed like good results. The most negative things I had read was about application and quick drying so cleaning was a nuisance, but my installer didn't mind that part so I went with it. Kicking myself now!!

Going to check the manufacturer date as well on the container.

Sheila
Unread 01-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
Steve Taylor

I am sorry to hear of your problem with Fusion Pro Grout. The most common problems have been related to cleaning the grout during installation. If too much water is used during the cleaning process, some of the binder can be washed away leaving a soft surface in the joints that is easily abraded away. I ask you to call or Technical Service Department, 800-282-8786, I am sure one of our reps can help you with this issue. Fusion Pro has been very successful, if there is problems we are unaware of we like to know, to improve the product.
Unread 01-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
swigley

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the reply. I am going to fill in - by hand, so very little water will be used, the spots I am having issues with and we will see how it holds up. I am still very concerned, but will give the tech line a call also. I was just "tapping" on my vertical wall that doesn't get wet behind my vanity and it seems pretty hard, but still scrapes out easier than I thought it should be, esp compared to traditional grout. If I didn't have to clean the shower than it would be ok as it wouldn't have any friction to it, but we all know that is not possible.

Speaking of cleaning, how do you recommend cleaning the grout? I googled and looked at your site and couldn't find anything listing type of cleaners to use or stay away from? I would also think a medium stiffness brush should be ok? It's not like it is a hard wire brush or anything? Right now, even using a toothbrush would rub some of this out. I have only used cleaners that are safe for marble even though this area is on the wall which is porcelain, my floor is marble and I don't want it damaged from harsh cleaners.

Also, it says the product is mold resistant, but I already have pink color getting on it from areas that water runs through the most. Any thoughts on that? This is the reason I am scrubbing it to begin with.

Thanks!
Sheila
Unread 01-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
Steve Taylor

We recommend the use of neutral pH cleaners, such as those in our Aqua Mix line of cleaners. AquaKleen is a good choice.

Fusion Pro will not support the growth of mold and mildew. However, many of the personal care products, shampoo and conditioners, we all use will. I recommend rinsing down the walls and floors after showering. Also leaving shower doors or curtains open after showering will help the walls and floor dry out; without moisture mold can not grow.
Unread 01-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
Grout-scout

Fusion is the devil, don't get it too wet; but it dries so freaking fast that you have no option except to scrub it. Try using it during the Texas summer heat. By chance did you or your installer happen to try to seal the fusion grout? I doubt you did, but figured I'd ask anyways.
Unread 01-09-2017, 10:33 PM   #8
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Mike,

Over to the east in sunny Houston we use Fusion and Flexcolor 99% of the time with no problems. Due to the heat, humidity and my short arms, I grout about 2 to 4 sf at a time before cleaning, depending on the tile, heat, and how far I can reach.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
apothiccrush

did you resolve your grout problem? i'm having a similar problem with two different grout applications (one polyblend, one laticrete -- done by different people). when you scrub it with a grout brush, does literally all of the grout fall out of the joint? or just the top layer?

strange thing is, its only my wall grout. floor grout is solid. maybe it has something to do with gravity?
Unread 01-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Apothic, this thread is about a completely different category of grout than the Portland-based grouts in your thread.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #11
apothiccrush

Oh I know it's a different type of grout, I've done more research on grout lately than I care to admit ;-)

I was just checking in on the OP bc I completely understand the feeling of dreading to have to potentially regrout...ESP if like me, the issue only happens again.
Unread 01-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #12
swigley

Apothic...

Well on the wall, if you scrub it is taking most of it out. I have a part on the shower floor enclosure (the built up part where shower glass adheres to) that it all came out with just a tad of scrubbing I am honestly afraid to clean any of it now. This weekend I am going to fill in the spots and see how it does.

My bathroom floor is done with this also and I haven't had to "scrub" it per se, but I see places that has nicked easily.

From what I have seen so far, I honestly think it is the product and it isn't that durable. My installer has a great reputation with his work and while I know they said there can be "too much water" during installation, I really don't think that is the case nor would it happen all over. It would be much easier for the water to seep in on a floor install I would think than the vertical walls and my walls are really what is having the issue.

To the other poster that asked if it was sealed...no.. as this product says it doesn't need it. Granted I know sometimes things say that and it still helps...but that was one of the selling points to me.

And I have to say, my Bright White isn't that bright in the shower anymore and I am an OCD person keeping things clean.

Now I have to figure out how to clean this mess and not have to redo my brand new bathroom. I can tell you my 14 year old traditional grout in my laundry room could probably be stabbed over and over with a knife and never come out as that stuff is rock solid!

Sheila
Unread 01-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #13
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW the brightest white grout is Avalanche by Mapei

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #14
Grout-scout

I was asking if you sealed it because i read that solvent based sealers will eat fusion up, just trying to rule out a possible scenario for your problem. I hope you get it figured out.
Unread 01-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #15
swigley

Grout-scout

Thanks, see why you were askIng. I was gonna patch places today but what is remaining in my container seems kind and dry so I'm not gonna chance it. I am going to get a new one tonight and do tomorrow.

All I know is the small spot I tested is way whiter than what has been down for 6 months which really pi$$es me off because I bought this stuff because it's supposed to stay white... and can't clean it or it comes out, so... kinda screwed so far. Grrrr. I'll update once I get patched.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase