Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
reckebecca

Advice needed - corian transition/threshold loose

I have an issue I am hoping that all you brilliant minds can help me to solve!

I had a walk-in shower + bathroom tile installed 2 years ago. The shower floor is pebble, the shower walls and bathroom floor are ceramic tile. My tile installer used a piece of Corian for a transition from the pebble to the tile. He did not fully grout the end between wall tile and top of Corian transition piece. Corian has now come loose at one end, allowing water to go underneath - not good, I know!

I attempted to reach my tile installer, he's not responding. SO, it's time to figure it out a different way since I'm a relatively handy DIYer.

I used a dremel 570 bit to remove the bits of grout btwn Corian and wall tile and what I thought was loose grout but now believe was caulk between the tile and the Corian. When I attempted to use the 570 between the pebbles and the Corian I got a bit of a muddy mess as there is some residual moisture present so I stopped.

The Corian is "moveable loose" for about 4" from wall and "knock on it, not solidly adhered" for about double that. I cannot get underneath the Corian.

So, then the puzzle becomes how to fix this mess.

One thought was - try to get some gorilla glue beside/beneath it, set something heavy on it (and/or put shims between it and the wall tile as wedge) until gorilla glue dries then re-caulk the Corian to tile edge, grout the wall tile to Corian end and the pebble to Corian side. But, I don't know if the gorilla glue will hold. Don't know if the Tec siliconized color matching caulk would stick to the gorilla glue that would then be at the bottom of that space. And, I don't know if there is a better solution. So, I came here to ask

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts/advice!

~Rebecca
Attached Images

reckebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
rmckee84

If there is moisture under the threshold then it needs to come out and area needs to dry otherwise you'll have a hard time getting anything the cure. Do you know how the shower was constructed, specifically how the installer waterproofed it and how far the waterproofing extends under the floor tile in the main part of the bathroom?
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
reckebecca

I don't know about the waterproofing

I do know that it is a mudbed underneath the pebbles. I just went looking for pictures and I'm not being able to put my hands on pictures that show anything that would help with this question.
Unread 01-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
rmckee84

This is pure speculation, but if the threshold is coming loose it could be signs of a bigger issue. Removing it would be my recommendation, that way you can see exactly what is going on at the transition. But from looking at the pic the piece might not survive the removal so that's up to you I guess.
Unread 01-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
reckebecca

Memory cells finally kicked in - he used Ditra. I've got a question out to someone else who was here while the install was happening to see if we can determine how far he took it out beyond the transition piece.

Yes, I was worried about the Corian piece's survival if it needed to come out.
Unread 01-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
rmckee84

Let us know what you find out and hopefully we can help. Its just hard to tell exactly the best way to remove the threshold without actually being there.
Unread 01-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
reckebecca

Understood.

I was really hoping that the answer would be that there was a brilliant solution for re-attaching the loose end vs. pulling it out.

I did leave a hairdryer blowing on each side for extended periods this weekend and it's definitely behaving differently (sounds and feels different when I push down on it). I then sealed it up with "sticky-ass" tape as a temporary hold until I figure out what I'm going to do.
Unread 01-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #8
top_hatt

If you have extra field tile, I would remove the wall tile on 1 side to save corian. But that can create more problems if not done carefully.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Unread 01-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #9
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

In the scheme of things, would you accept a joint in the middle of the Corian? You could cut it, and maybe lift it out. On the other hand, a piece that small shouldn't cost all that much. You could probably find a fabricator and they usually will sell small remnants for a fraction of what the 'full retail' price is.

You mentioned Ditra...was that used out in the room? Hopefully, as it is not something specified for use in the shower.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase