Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
Apme123
Danton

Is this water intrusion?

Hey guys. I am helping my cousin paint the inside of her house. I noticed that there were nail holes popping in the wall behind the tiled shower. I scraped them with a knife and rusty old nails came out. I took a look at the other side of the shower and this is what the pan looks like. I noticed the sheetrock is rusty. The last couple of pictures are of another shower downstairs. Thanks for any and all help.

Also is there a way to check if there is actual water intrusion?? Maybe with a moisture meter?
Attached Images

Unread 01-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #2
rmckee84

Doesn't look like it to me, a nail head can rust just because of the joint compound used to cover the head. The pictures with the wire lathe show some rust, but it's hard to say if theres really an issue. Was anything in the wall cavity actually damp?
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It looks like a lead pan from the 1950's. The mud will be at least an inch thick, possibly up to 1 1/2 thick and back then they didn't put moisture barriers behind the mud. If it's not showing any signs of leaking under the shower, I'd leave it alone. I don't see a problem with a little rust on the nail head or lath.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Is that a lead pan liner? Can you tell if it is flat on the floor?

Mudded walls are a nice way to get a flat wall. Lead pans are rarely installed with a preslope, though. That can lead to moisture buildup in the pan, and it can wick up the walls.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
Apme123
Danton

Thanks, I'll take a look and see if it's flat on the floor. Do you guys think plugging the drain and filling it with an inch and 1/2 of water to see if it leaks is a good idea? Thanks for taking the time to help.
Unread 01-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

That wouldn't hurt, but I'd go within maybe 1.5" of the top of the curb or so...maybe 2", depends on how thick the tile and mortar is on top of the liner at the curb. The mortar bed will absorb some moisture, so the level will drop until things are saturated. If the drain has working weepholes, your plug must be below them to check for leaks.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase