Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #1
Jim_H

2nd Layer of Plywood into Joists - Subfloor Question

Longtime lurker on this great forum. I'm remodeling my kitchen and entryway (Roughly 300 sq.ft.) which is over a crawlspace. The floor joists are 2x10's and 16" O.C. The joists are supported every 8-10 ft. by Irons beams which are mounted on the concrete crawlspace floor. The joist structure is solid and passes the deflection calculator.

Much to my surprise when I pulled up the 3/4" Oak hardwood floor; I realized that there is a 1/2" plywood subfloor which is then topped by a 2nd layer of 3/4" plywood. BOTH layers of plywood are nailed into the joists. I plan to put 1/4" cement board over the two layers of plywood.

My question:

Since I will be laying stone (Travertine), do I have to pull the 2nd layer of plywood and then reset with screws to avoid the joists OR can I just sink screws into the 2nd layer of plywood and just avoid the joists? Any other suggestions?
Unread 12-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jim.

Unfortunately, what you have there is a single layer 3/4" plywood subfloor installed over a 1/2" spacer.

The Marble Institute of America requires a double layer plywood subfloor, properly installed, regardless the joist spacing, for a natural stone tile installation. You, of course, can install your Travertine over anything you want.

In your situation I would recommend you install a second layer of nominal 1/2" plywood subflooring, installed as shown in this good article from our Liberry. On top of that would be your CBU or tiling membrane.

As to the joist structure, the joists would be suitable for a natural stone installation only if they are known to be of good grade and species. It's rare for a joist structure to be designed to meet the required L/720 deflection requirement unless the original plans called for a natural stone floor covering.

I'm a little confused about just what you have for joist supports. You say they are mounted on "iron beams which are mounted on the concrete crawlspace floor." But if you have a crawl space, the "iron beams" couldn't well be setting on the floor, seems to me. Can you clarify that a bit?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
Jim_H

Thanks!

Sorry, I realize that was confusing with the way I typed it.

The joists are supported by iron beams. The iron beams have iron posts that are roughly 4' tall and are mounted into the concrete floor.

Would I be better off removing both layers of plywood and then then re-using the 3/4" layer and adding 1/2" plywood on top? I am a little worried that I will have a lot of weight with 1/2" layer, then 3/4" layer, then another 1/2" layer.
Unread 12-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Possibly, but I'd be more concerned with your steel beams and wood joists being designed to meet the necessary L/720 deflection requirement. You'll be adding a lot more weight with the Travertine, tiling substrate, bonding mortar and grout than with the extra layer of half-inch plywood.

I wouldn't bother removing the bottom layer of half-inch plywood unless overall height was a serious concern.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
Jim_H

Thanks, I will add another layer of 1/2" plywood then. I will just use Ditra instead of the cement board so I can save some height.

The current structure far surpasses the minimum deflection requirements using the site calculator so we should be good there!
Unread 12-31-2016, 05:32 AM   #6
PTile
Maine tile guy

So the 1/2" plywood is on the joists and the 3/4" is on top of that. Is that correct? I'm not entirely familiar with the Marble Institute's specification (I really need to order that book!) but I certainly do concur that the weight of a travertine tile floor will be substantial compared to the old wood floor. In this case more is better. Go with another layer of 1/2" (glued and screwed into the realm of overkill (every 6" o.c.) is my preferred method.). Schluter-Ditra membrane is my choice for a stone such as travertine, over a mechanically fastened cement board, over the top layer of plywood. It allows for lateral movement where the backer-board doesn't. In my experience the lateral movement is a partner to deflection in sabotaging you plans for a beautiful travertine floor.

Also I think I remember something in the TCNA Handbook about only the bottom layer of subfloor should be fastened to the joist. Maybe I'm "mis"-remembering though. I'm not sure how much trouble I'd go through though to correct something like that at this point though but I'm no engineer.
Unread 01-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #7
Atomic21

Quote:
The current structure far surpasses the minimum deflection requirements using the site calculator so we should be good there!
Worth noting that if you have any of the steel supports beneath the travertine, make sure the tops of the opposing joists are tied together well. I have seen many times where the abutting runs of deflection compliant joists results in cracking of stone finishes because the ends of the joists will rotate unless anchored across the support well.
Unread 06-08-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
Jim_H

Travertine Tile Floor Crack after Install

Much to my shock, I noticed a four foot long crack in my new Travertine tile installation and it is extremely bothering; of course! I literally am dejected after the time/expense/thought process that went into this.

Details on install:
- I installed the tile, 12x18 (300 sq. ft.)
- Install is over a crawl space with a concrete slab
- Joist system met the deflection requirements
- 1st layer of plywood is 3/4" screwed to joists
- 2nd layer of plywood is 1/2" screwed in field
- Used Ditra, installed with Ultraflex (modified) and then tiled with Kerabond (Unmodified)

The install was four months ago and I now have a crack that runs through three tiles for about four feet and is perpendicular to the joists. I can take a picture if needed. Obviously there is movement in the subfloor but my question is why and what can be done to prevent more cracking. Keep in mind the install was in the Chicago winter and now it is the Chicago summer. I'm not sure if I was supposed to do anything with the crawlspace to minimize shrinking/expansion of the subfloor?
Unread 06-08-2017, 07:56 AM   #9
Kman

Welcome back, Jim.

I merged your new thread with the old one so we have some of the history of your project with it.

Did you use exterior glue or exposure 1 plywood with a face grade of C or better? What kind of screws did you use?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #10
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Is the crack aligned with anything underneath the floor?

How big is the area that was tiled?

Does it get a lot of direct sunlight?

It sounds like you removed the existing subflooring to get a 3/4" layer on the joists. Was the 3/4" ply T&G? Did you leave a gap at the ends?
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
Jim_H

To answer the questions:

- Yes, the 1/2" plywood was appropriately rated.
- Screws were Deck Mate exterior star drive screws
- I can check the crawl space but the crack may be in line with a support beam that I added in order to meet the L/720 requirement
- The tiled area is 300 sq.ft.
- No direct sunlight for the most part there
- The 3/4 ply was existing; I just screwed it down since it was nailed when the home was built. I believe it was T&G but can't be 100% certain
Unread 06-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
wwhitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I can check the crawl space but the crack may be in line with a support beam that I added in order to meet the L/720 requirement
Did you use kiln dried lumber for your support beam and posts? What size is the beam?

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited by wwhitney; 06-08-2017 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Missing word
wwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #13
prodjsaig

Did you install bracing and what kind of plywood did you use b c exterior?
Unread 06-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #14
Jim_H

My wife called me and said there appears to be another small crack in another section of the kitchen which also happens to be right where the 2nd support beam was installed. I am going to measure where the beams are tonight in relation to where the cracks are.

The beams were 4x4 posts (Douglas fir) with a sistered LVL beam on top (9.25"). I then used shims above the beam between the joists since all of the joists were not touching the beam. Possibly the posts expanded with the warm weather in Chicago?
Unread 06-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #15
Jim_H

Yes, I used metal bracing between the beam and the joists and used exterior bc grade plywood for the underlayment. I also used metal caps underneath the supports posts so that wood was not touching concrete.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase