Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
Stuff

Is MegaLite overkill?

I've been reading this forum for a while and it has some good information and ideas. Now am going from reading to actually doing something.

Going to be working on a friend's bathtub/shower surround and need some advice. With 12"x12" porcelain tiles going to the 8' ceiling he is concerned that they are heavy and won't stay stuck. No tiles on ceiling so I didn't think it would be much of an issue. ProLite looks like the right product but how much advantage is there to MegaLite? Or is it more work?

Project background: 1950's house with 8x5 bathroom. Previous owner installed Sterling Ensemble White Vikrell tub and surround but the tub bottom has cracked and is leaking (set directly on plank subfloor). Now going to redo alcove with new Americast tub and tile. Not supposed to be needed but going to use StructoLite as tub mortar bed. CBU to be above flange and shimmed to match plaster depth of adjoining walls (not replacing). Using 1/2" Hardiebacker with Redgard as the barrier - products in stock at orange big box store. Did special order Kerdi-Fix and a Kerdi band for the tub flange to CBU junction.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Unread 12-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Stuff.

Either one would be gross overkill in my estimation. Custom's Versabond would be more than adequate.

That StructoLite is not something I'd use to support the bottom of a tub, but that's entirely up to you.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #3
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Welcome!

The simple answer is "yes". What's on the ceiling? Drywall?
Unread 12-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #4
Stuff

Ceiling and other bathroom walls are plaster in good condition so just planning on painting them. Haven't gone any further with that planning.

If not StructoLite what is recommended under a tub? I know support is supposed to be optional for Americast but there are too many stories of squeaks without something.

I was looking around and Custom Building Products brochure has Megalite and Flexbond as highest performance, ProLite and Versabond Flex as Highly Recommended, with Versabond as recommended in the same category as MultiSet and SpeedSet. Figuring on this being for walls the Lite versions seemed to make sense and not needing the LFT versions. Are there disadvantages of the Lite products that should be left to the pros?
Unread 12-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

I'd recommend the pre-bagged Mason's Mix or Mortar Mix from Quikrete or Sakrete that you can find at your local home center.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2016, 02:18 AM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

The mortars are certainly higher performing than necessary. But I like using a non-sag mortar on wall tiles. Don't think I'd spend the money on the super top shelf Megalite to obtain the non-sag feature, but wouldn't object to using it, either.

The tub support you're using would be considered lower performing than the more appropriate materials CX suggested. But your tub doesn't require anything under the belly of the tub. If the choice is either this or nothing, I'd choose what you've picked out. But the choices CX mentions are no harder or expensive to obtain than what you're considering.

The only choice I'd personally choose otherwise is to use a true cement board like Durock. I don't enjoy how Hardibacker is soooo thirsty that it pulls moisture out of setting material (and in this case RedGard) so rapidly. If you stay with Hardibacker, I'd mix up and apply a primer coat of RedGard before applying your two layers. And do make certain to wipe down the Hardibacker with a damp sponge multiple times before applying the primer coat to remove the dust and dampen the board.

Help an awesome summer camp!

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 01-01-2017 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Correct spelling error
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase