Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-20-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
puke

Shower bench size.

Have a customer who wants me to decide on how high and deep to do the bench...who is out of town. So...I normally force a customer to make the decisions...whether we build a quick mock up or whatever.

What is the most common height (this will be roughly 48 inches across,..?
Also, depth?

I figure what I'll do is frame it a couple inches less than wanted...and then add either 2xs,..or sheets of cdx (once she arrives back in town),..until it is her favorite height. That way we can be almost done,..but at least will be able to ask her how much taller she wants it.

Anybody who has any ideas, please chime in..I have never..in 57 years...done a bench without forcing the customer to sit on a mockup, etc.,..so here I go. THis is not my comfort zone.

I only do about 3 bathrooms a year..but they are usually fairly high end.. I want to keep everybody happy.
Unread 12-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Some anthropometric data from a chair making class I took some time ago.

Lotta chairs have a height of about 17-18 inches. Depth of chairs depends on what kind of chair you're talking. For a shower bench, it's often limited by the size of the actual space trying to "shoe-horn" in a bench where it barely fits. I think you need to go at least 14" deep. And a wee bit more if you can fit it.

If you've got nothing else to go on, start from here.

Hey, why not do a Google search? Type in "Anthropometric data for chairs" and you'll get a slew of information based off the study of the human body. That way, you can probably zero in on your clients based off their height.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2016, 06:46 AM   #3
nelsonkoehn
showers & more

Have you seen a trend in bench dimensions over those 57 years?

I find that 17-19" height is the range, and I shoot for 18", unless the client specs otherwise.

I find that 13-16" is a comfortable depth, 12" or less and it feels as if you are on the edge, and over 16" starts to feel plenty deep.

Let the space of the shower dictate which side of those ranges you go to.

tile.nkoehn.com
nelsonkoehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
Peerless Tile
Tile Contractor

I'm with the others unless particularly specified....18"high by 16"deep. 2 stacked concrete end block with a 2" cap block make this real easy for me.
Unread 12-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

What Nelson said

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
Autoplay
Tile Setter

Finish to finish height....what I do em at is 18-20 inches. Depth and width is subjective,and only limited/unlimited to space etc.
Unread 12-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #7
puke

I learned a new word; Anthropomorphic....or whatever you spelled!

I'm 57,...but have only been dealing with this 25 or 30 years. No trends other than bigger and bigger (everything was always super custom)... Some jobs in beverly hills would be 2 or 3 years on 1 house... so I never really even knew anyone thought there was a standard...EXCEPT,...one job,..a lady that had bought Emilia Ehrheart's house (Ya..I can't spell)...was worried about the final height on her custom dining room table... And she used the term "regulation height"...(like it was a pool table or something)... That was so funny I almost laughed myself to death......while keeping a straight face and dealing with it seriously.

ok,
Thanks a bunch,.. I'm going to rough it at 17 or 18 and then add to it when she get's back in town.
Unread 12-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #8
Kman

From the subfloor I set the top of the bench at 20", so by the time the mud is in it's close to 18".

14-16" depth.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I build mine with concrete blocks. Off the pan I stack two 4x8x16 blocks and then one row of blocks flat ways. That makes about 20 inches but when the floor goes in, it's about 18. Depth depends on the size of the shower. If it's a small shower, then 12 inches works. In larger showers, 14 to 16 inches works well.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase