Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
smcginn

glass tile is cracking

Our master bathroom was completed in August with glass tiles (4x12s and 6x12s) on the walls and marble on the floor and bench. The glass tile has begun cracking and we currently have 9 tiles that are severely cracked. Needless to say, we have been reading everything that we can about why this is happening (obviously the tile guy did not do something right and our GC says she is working on figuring out what/why this is happening.) I will post a few pictures from when the tiles first started cracking and will take and post some more (with the feathering in the next few days). Any and all advice is great--this GC had good reviews and we had everything permitted but it didn't seem to matter!
Attached Images

Unread 12-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #2
rmckee84

You'll need to fill us in on how the shower was constructed. Unfortunately glass is a little iffy in showers do to the temp swings that occur from use. Without proper construction glass tiles are prone to cracking. And in some cases cracking can occur with all the proper precautions in place.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, SM.

We're gonna need a lot more information to even begin guessing.

1. Brand name, make and model of the tiles.

2. Brand name, make and model of the bonding mortar used.

3. Brand name, make and model of the grout.

4. Substrate over which tiles were set.

5. Framing over which the substrate was installed.

6. Treatment of grout joints at all changes of plane in the shower.

7. Water containment method used, i.e. type of waterproofing membrane if any.

If you have any "during" photos of the shower construction they might be very helpful.

Let's start with that and see how far we can go.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2016, 10:23 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Sabra contacted me through another forum. She sent me the same pictures plus these:
Attached Images

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If this shower has a pan liner type of water containment, nailing cement board to the curb should not have been done. It has nothing to do with the tiles cracking but will cause other problems down the road.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Sabra,

1- Glass tiles shouldn't be cut into L shapes as they are very prone to cracking. Its highly advisable to spend some time on the layout of the plumbing fixtures as to avoid L shapes. Where L shapes are mandatory, the inside of the L should be as rounded as possible, spreading out the stresses as much as possible.

2- Its easy to see from the quality of the cuts and the L shaped tiles, these guys aren't well versed with glass tiles. With the proper blade, the cuts should be clean and crisp with no rough edges. Watch this video for the fastest, easiest way to cut glass tiles, then this video of glass tiles being cut with my favorite glass cutting diamond blade.

3- There seems to be screws through the top of the curb holding the ceement board (CBU) into place. This is a no no. Due to the rest of the shower construction we can see, there should be a vinyl liner underneath which they breached with the screws. Hopefully there should be no screws on the inside of the curb. Do you remember any?

4- The ceement board isn't waterproof. Do you remember any sheet plastic over the studs? If not, the red stuff should be covering the entire surface.

5- The ceement boards on the floors should have thinset underneath them. Do you remember any thinset going onto the plywood right before each board was placed?

Unread 12-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

how glass tiles can be cut
Attached Images

Unread 12-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #8
Todd Groettum
Theoriginaltileguytodd

I am not going to second guess the methodology used here but the Workmanship looks pretty good ( other than the durock curb top and without knowing the type pan done I would be simply surmising)
It is natural when something fails to want to blame someone, hell, anyone but there are times when it is a material problem, Not a workmanship problem...

This could be one of those times....I guess all I am saying besides "I hate GLASS Tile" is Lets not hang the installer just yet, not without more input....

And as a side note I can Hate glass tile...I am retired and no longer have to deal with it...

theoriginaltileguytodd
Todd Groettum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Are the inside corners grouted or do they have silicone sealant in them? From the picture it looks like they're grouted. If that's the case, you have nowhere for any expansion in the glass to go and that's a very likely contributing factor to your cracking. Glass expands a lot, you're heating it up in the shower while the substrate behind it is still cool. That expansion needs to go somewhere and the soft joints (the siliconed corners) are designed to do that.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #10
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by her GC
I have talked to three installers and shown them the pictures. They do not have any idea while the tiles would be cracking. I am going to go to Floor & D├ęcor to speak with them about the tile. I will update you as soon as I have more information. We installed your tile with flexible thin set over cement board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabra
Does this sound right? I thought that you had to put a waterproof membrane for glass not just cement board because of the expanding and contracting
There is no such animal as a 'flexible' thinset. They all cure hard like cement, because that is the primary ingredient after sand. The membrane does provide some measure of movement protection, but generally as one large wall panel and not per individual tiles. Perimeter joints being properly filled with 100% silicone caulking give room for expansion and contraction, aside from being required by the TCNA.

Further, the waterproofing is required no matter what type of tile is on the surface. Full waterproofing to 70 inches over the bathroom floor is required by the United Plumbing Code (UPC) See attached document. Your local plumbing code may or may not have a different name, but generally they all follow the same requirement for waterproofing (again regardless of the surface tile)

Sounds like he has no idea of the specifications for glass tile installation and now is blowing smoke in every direction.

Unread 12-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #11
smcginn

cracking tile

thanks for the replies. I believe that the grout was added directly to the cement board and then the tile was added. I'm not sure about the nails.
Unread 12-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #12
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

To bring you up to speed on the correct terminology to help you understand;

Thinset is the mortar used between the tile and the ceement board

Grout is the mortar used between each tile.

You see the grout in the finished product. You should not see the thinset on the finished product. The grout has no role in bonding the tiles to the cement board.

Unread 12-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #13
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, cement based products bond by growing interlocking crystalline spikes...those spikes are fairly brittle. But, they can bend slightly (think glass). A modified thinset provides a slightly less rigid coating between those crystals...helping to support them and offering a microscopically small space for slightly more flex...but, all of that flex is VERY small.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #14
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I'm trying to see where he used mesh tape for the seams and it doesn't look like he used any. In post 1/photo 1 there's a cracked tile next to the niche. If it's the niche on the back wall then there is a vertical seam in the cbu right there.

The cement board install looks ok before mudding the seams. It looks like it's 16 oc and staggered boards. Except for the curb part of it obviously. But the curb isn't causing the wall tile to crack.

Do we know yet what kind of thinset was used and who manufactures the glass?
Unread 12-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #15
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

I found the glass manufacturer, if its the right one, with the instructions you'd expect

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase