Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 04-23-2004, 06:48 PM   #1
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Question Readin Directions for a Change

Lately,i've heard DIYers talking about misting their grout for 3 days.Don't know where that came from!?I was curious,had technology passed me by whilste i was napping? So i picks me up a mapei grout bag and low and behold-NO- Do not DAMPCURE,use dressing tool to strike joint,don,t use sponge(we all knew that). Where do these urban legends come from? Some of these poor people were scared to grout,or do anything until someone advised them further. I felt sorry for her. Anyway another thing i noticed on a modified multipurpose thinset bag were the words: Do not use on porcelain larger than 12" on interior: a couple years ago. I've never heard a legitimate reason why,other than C Y A . Anyone have any suggestions or comments on either one?
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-23-2004, 07:02 PM   #2
Bri
The Ditra Kid

Quote:
use dressing tool to strike joint,don,t use sponge

Yeah, that'll happen.

“The world is a tangled up necklace of pearls"
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 07:05 PM   #3
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

Well we always read the bags and follow instructions. That is why there is only one way to get the job done.

Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 08:40 PM   #4
Dave Gobis
da Man!

There are a few grouts that do not recommend damp cure but in most cases it is benefical. The only reason there would be a limitation on size would be the inability of the polymer to coalese under a large tile.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2004, 05:06 AM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Smile Readin directions

I see what you're saying Dave, in other words the large vitreous like tiles will hinder the polymerization,or the curing itself, but why would the line be drawn at 12" tiles? What about using a 1/2 notch tile over tile,same problem or not? As far as dampcuring,sure the longer it stays damp, the longer the chemicals cook,but, I don't think people should generalize aa process and blanket the advice to all products because of the complexities of the many,many different products out there. When someone writes in with a problem,frankly it' difficult to asses given the multitude of different factors.By the way the dampcure issue wasn't on this forum,i've been impressed with the advice here,although i'm rather surprised by the willingness of many to try so many (new) products. JUST THINKING ALOUD!

http://Davestonestile.com
Unread 04-24-2004, 06:16 AM   #6
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Dave (stone)

Thanks for directing me here (following directions).

It is very difficult to give advice on a forum such as this. Especially when we are not at the jobsite to properly evaluate. You are correct in regards to read the label by any given manufacturer. I have also found many changes in directions given by just one grout manufacturer over the years. I think that goes with the constant change of labels (color schemes, layout, etc.)

I remember when Hardibacker board said don't tape the seams (which I taped anyway). Later they changed the directions to tape the seams. Wonder why?

There are grouts (such as Mapei Ultra Color), and mortar bed products (such as Mapei Mapacem) (sp?), that are fast curing and very dense when cured not using the dampening process.

So, in other words I agree with the multitude of products and job conditions, that would justify one product or method over another. I always try to get as much info as possible, and also consider who's using the various products. With DIY's this is a large task.

I also appreciate your input and point of view.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2004, 06:17 AM   #7
Mike2

Dave (stone):

So i picks me up a Custom Polyblend grout bag and low and behold - 3rd paragraph.

"Curing: Periodically mist the installation with clean, cool water for 3 days."

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2004, 10:13 AM   #8
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Touche" Mike,and the banter continues!; At the five year mark,i thought i was,pretty good, at the ten year mark i thought i was the best there was, and now after more than twenty years i'm beginning to wonder if i know anything at all!

Unread 04-24-2004, 10:56 AM   #9
Mike2

Yea Dave.

I don't deny for a second what you read on the Mapei bag.

So I's sent them technical folk at Mapei an email axeing 'em the question - will post their reply here whatever it is (if I ever get one that is)
Unread 04-24-2004, 03:07 PM   #10
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

10-4!

Unread 04-25-2004, 08:02 AM   #11
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Dave

I hear you loud and clear. Now I got it down to (especially around here), everyday I find out I know less!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 10:54 AM   #12
Mike2

I just got off the telephone with Mapei. They called in response to my email re. misting grout. Quoting Mapei as accurately as I can:

"We at Mapei recommend against misting our Keracolor grout, sanded or unsanded, even in hot weather. While some company's do recommend misting their product for proper cure, our formulation is such that misting is not necessary, or even recommended."
Unread 04-26-2004, 01:47 PM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I don't use Mapei grouts (availability), but I agree with their recommendation. The whole subject of misting and damp curing is so vague that it's worthless. Nobody did it way back before polymer grouts, nobody I know, anyway. I think it's not only a waste of time, but I think it contributes to grout discoloration.

So what is "periodically" over a three-day period? Somebody tell me how much and how often based on those instructions.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 02:09 PM   #14
Mike2

John, seriously...I believe "periodically" means in between six-packs.
Unread 04-27-2004, 10:13 PM   #15
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally posted by Davestone
At the five year mark,i thought i was,pretty good, at the ten year mark i thought i was the best there was, and now after more than twenty years i'm beginning to wonder if i know anything at all!
Tell me about it!!

John-- The misting has been around for atleast decades, and meant specifically for unmodified grouts (originally the plain portland cement and silica sand grouts). It's actually not recommended with alot of the polymer modified grouts that are out now. I had one job (the only one I've ever damp cured) about 16-17 years ago-- in a water treatment plant-- where it was stipulated in the contract that the grout be damp cured for 2 weeks, by laying craft paper over the whole job (about 2800 feet of 4x8 QT laid in running bond) and wetting it down twice a day. I actually had to run about 45 mintues to this job twice every day (including sundays) for two weeks wetting down this damn craft paper, or I wouldn't have gotten paid for it.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase