Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
Igman

Barrier-free shower with Schluter pan and linear drain question

As I continue to prepare for the remodel of a couple of showers, I have a question that I haven't been able to get answered. The basic layout of the shower is a two wall design with a linear drain at one wall (right side) and a back wall (straight ahead). The pan slopes from left to right into the linear drain. The glass would be mounted on the level floor just outside the pan-parallel to the back wall. What is used to manage the the plane change where this is not wall, just glass? There would be a free edge of the tiles where the level floor meets the pan- the area just inside (to left of glass). How is this edge covered? Grout? The Schluter folks didn't know. There isn't a profile that handles this without a wall, and although they are very helpful, they don't know. The attached picture depicts what I am trying to articulate...
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
john619

looks to me like it is set into a "U" channel used for glazing
Old 04-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Unless they've discontinued it, they DO make a profile specifically for this and I think it's this one:
http://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/...HOWERPROFILE_S
Attached Images

Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.

Last edited by jadnashua; 04-14-2016 at 05:12 PM.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
Igman

Thanks! I don't how I missed that, or how the Schluter rep wasn't aware of it!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

They showed us one during one of their training sessions, which is why I remembered it. I had not searched, but found it fairly easily when I did.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:47 AM   #6
Igman

I am curious, without that profile how would you protect that transition?
Old 04-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #7
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Along a wall, you'd make all of your tile a wedge to follow the slope. Along the outside where you don't have a curb, you could have a compound curve, depending on the size of the tile, but if they're large format ones, you'd probably have to cut some slivers and maybe use a corner profile. From a time and skill level, though, assuming you're using their pan, the length and shape of that profile makes life LOTS easier and faster.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #8
Igman

Thanks again. That makes sense. The guy I spoke to said to grout it and then didn't seem like the best method...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase