Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
hobbyjeep

Hydro Ban over wallboard

I'm a homeowner updating a bathroom in house. It's a full bath (tub unit) and bath is about 7' X 14'. I've replaced bathtub and installed Hardiboard (1/2 inch) around the tub up to the ceiling. I plan on covering Hardiboard with Hydro Ban before setting the tile. My question is what to do with the ceiling over the tub? Currently, it's a drop down (about 4"), and is drywall. House is about 30 years old and we have never had a mold issue on the ceiling. This is a guest bathroom, and with kids all gone, will get very little use. I would like NOT to pull the drywall because of attic insulation, and the mess it will create. Tile my wife has picked is a glass mosaic (11X11 sheet). The tub WILL NOT have glass doors. [At this point I'm not sure if we will just paint the ceiling or tile it... I'm assuming tile, so here we go...]

Question... what is the best way to handle ceiling? over the tub?
1) Can I just cover ceiling with a few coats of Hydro Ban and tile over it? (I assume I will need to sand some of the ceiling paint).

2) Or, should I just thinset/screw a 1/2 layer of Hardiboard over the existing drywall ceiling, apply Hydro Ban and apply the tile?

3) If I install Hardiboard, do I need to use thinset between the Hardiboard and drywall ceiling?

4) Is there any other roll on waterproofing membrane that works over drywall that I should consider? (I'm not sure if there is a place to buy Hydro Ban in the Commerce Twp, MI area).

I want to do the job right... but don't want to over-engineer it.
Thanks for your suggestions and help.

regards/
Ron
Commerce MI
Unread 08-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Ron.

If you'll add that geographic location to your User Profile it'll remain permanently in view to help with answering some of your questions.

1. It is generally not necessary to waterproof the ceiling in a residential shower, tiled or not.

2. If the ceiling is sound and the drywall properly attached to adequate framing, there is no need to add CBU in order to apply ceramic tile.

3. See #2.

4. See #1.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If you extra membrane and want to coat the ceiling, sure won't hurt anything but like Cx said, it's not really needed.

Redgard and Aqua Defense are similar to Hydroban.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
reefone
tile setter

here is the closest place to commerce to get hydro ban

genesee tile
24260 Indoplex Circle, Farmington Hills, MI

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase