Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
TimTaylor

CBU to drywall transition

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading posts here and learning quite a bit as I work on my bathroom renovation. Thank you all for you guidance and support.

I have a quick question which I think the experts here can answer quite easily so any help is appreciated.

The back wall in my bathroom continues straight into a walk in shower, therefore I have a point where the CBU will transition to drywall. There will be tile to the end of the CBU with about 1/4" overlap onto the drywall. After installing furring strips on the studs in the shower area (needed for the shower pan flange) the CBU sits about 1/4" higher than the drywall. I'm going to put 1/4" drywall on top of the existing drywall which will bring the transition of drywall to CBU almost flush. My issue is that I will be installing large wall tile 24 x 12 in the shower with 3 x 12 bullnose around the edge. I have read that I should use a 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 trowel for those large tiles. So after about 2 or 3 coats of Redgard, thinset scraped with the 1/2x 1/2 x 1/2 trowel and the tile itself I'm afraid the bullnose will sit too high above the drywall and it will not look good. Should I shim the 1/4" drywall above the CBU? If so, how much? Any other suggestions for a nice professional look?

Thank you,
Tim
Unread 05-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome, Tim!

I'd question if you really want to fur out the cement board in this application. Sometimes it's only practical for one or two of the shower walls, but not for all. Without having additional details, this seems like one of those impractical times.

If you're really set on wanting the cement board installed over the face of your tiling flange, is it possible to notch your studs and shift the shower pan into the stud wall by a distance equivalent to the thickness if the flange itself?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #3
TimTaylor

Hi Tool Guy!

Thank you for your reply.
The shower pan flange is on all three sides and must remain "free floating". The pan has also been bonded to the subfloor with thinset. My only option to make the transition flush is to add the 1/4" drywall, which is not a problem.
I just wonder if I should fur out the 1/4" a bit more to allow for some thickness of the thinset under the wall tile.

Thanks,
Tim
Unread 05-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Tim,

Thin set won't take up that much room.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
TimTaylor

Got it.
I tend to over think things sometimes.

Thank you John!
Unread 05-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
jim_c
doitmyselfer

I like it

I like your idea to make the two areas coplanar.
Couple thoughts (or maybe you have it all under control already):
Use 1/2" drywall rather than 1/4" in the area where you want the surface higher (than it is now)?
Tile the shower first, see where the level ends up, then do the drywalled area last?
Tile the whole wall if it's feasible and eliminate the issue?
Don't forget the thickness of the paint! Just kidding
Unread 05-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
TimTaylor

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the ideas!
Based on your response what I can do is tile the rear wall of the shower first (where it meets the drywall corner). From that point I will be able to tell exactly how much the tile will sit above the drywall and adjust the other wall accordingly.

Glad you mentioned the paint thickness. Time to break out my caliper.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase