Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-23-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
Quad

Jimmy's Shower Project

Hello,

I too have this problem. What do you guys recommend if i'm planning on using Kerdi Board as my water proofing?

Should i cut the board on that wall to size by measuring and filling the vacant space left by the lack of flange, leaving about a 1/4 gap like i would above a regular flange and kerdi fix or caulk the gap??
Old 01-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
Eschbach
Tile Contractor-Virginia

Hey Jimmy you will be using Kerdi band and Kerdi fix for your connection.

Virginia Installer of Schluter Kerdi and Kerdi Board Waterproof Showers

Excellence is no accident
Eschbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Quad

Sorry for the horrible drawings, but i hope this illustrates my point...

So i would hang the Kerdi Board above the Flange, then add the Kerdi band at the bottom of the board so it meets the tub deck all the way around the tub, using kerdi fix for the connection between the tub and the band?
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Welcome Jimmy.

I've moved your posts to it's own project thread so's we don't get things all jumbled and confused in someone else's project thread. Keep all your questions about this project here so's we can all follow along. We can rename the thread to something more generic if you'd like, just ask. Thanks.

Here's the thread Jimmy is referring to in his 1st post.
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=106424

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Jimmy.

You'll do better with your own project thread to avoid the confusion that usually results from adding similar, but different, questions to another visitor's thread.

In your application, you'll want the Kerdi Board to extend well past (3" or so) the front of the tub and you'll want to use Kerdi Band to attach the tiling flange to the Kerdi Board all the way to the floor.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
Quad

Thanks for the quick response. My tub doesn't have a flange down the front like this one does (i'll post a pic tonight when i get home)

There is a small (1/8th) gap between the stud and the edge of the front portion of the tub. Should i cut a small piece of Kerdi board for the tub leg and join that to the board that is going over the tub ( extended 3 inches like you suggest), then use the band to waterproof the joint between the boards, then caulk between the tub leg board and the tub?

Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
cx
Da Home Builder

I would.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
Quad

So i cut my Kerdi board last night and did a test fit and i have a few questions:

1) Do i tile the tub leg right down to the bottom of the floor? or leave a small gap. I may be replacing the floor and i don't want to have to remove tile to do that.

2)How do i handle my corner wall transition ( see picture) Should i use Kerdi board or Drywall for that portion of the wall? (i'm planning on putting a linen closet on the other side)

3) If i'm using finishing trim for the tile edges, where should i plan to end my tile (this might affect question 2 as well)

4)i've got a tiny gap in the wall/ roof transition towards one corner ( my cutting skills are highly suspect) do i need to worry about this or just use tile to cover it up?

5) This goes back to my original question regarding how to deal with the gap created with my tile flange ending short of the tub edge, i've attached a picture of how it will look. So i need to cover this with Kerdi band only?

6) My tub seems to curve inwards, creating an issue with my board not sitting flush with the flange towards the tub entrance. I shimmed out my wall on one end to deal with this, but i can't do that on the opposite wall because my board won't line up with the existing drywall. This will cause the bottom row of tile to butt out a bit. Any suggestions? is it advisable to shave back the corner of the flange a bit so the tile sits flush with the board?

I appreciate your responses!
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
Quad

corner wall
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
cx
Da Home Builder

1. You always want a gap between dissimilar materials.

2. I dunno. Which part? Wet area or dry? If you're using Kerdi to waterproof, shouldn't make much difference.

3. Maybe try that one again?

4. Can't see it from here, but I gotta believe you really mean wall/ceiling transition, yes? If it's outside the wet area you'd generally treat it like any other drywall joint.

5. You really wanna cut that Kerdi Board to fit down close to the tub there. I'd wanna fill the gap with Kerdi Fix as I set the wallboard and then attach Kerdi Band to the tub and the Kerdi Board to help seal the area. The kerdi Board or Kerdi Band over drywall must extend all the way to the floor as in #1.

6. You're gonna hafta fur out that wall to allow the waterproofing and tile to fit properly on the drain side of the tub tiling flange. Whatever that requires you to do at the Kerdi Board/drywall joint is what you've gotta do.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
Quad

2. Dry area. If i use Kerdiboard there do i slap some drywall mud and paint it?

6. What kind of options do i have to deal with the transition once the wall is fur'd out? i really don't want to take down that whole dry wall just to fur it out to match. Is there a trim i can use that will cover up that gap?
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
Quad

Transition

On the left side (fixture side) of the shower, how should i deal with this transition?

As you can see i wrapped the Kerdi board around to the short side of that wall. but i don't plan on tiling that area. Can i mud and paint this area?

I'm going to use a profile edge to finish the tile on both sides.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

2- yes

6- Plenty of choices; tile that edge, caulk that edge, profile the edge, add a sheet of drywall over the rest of the bathroom, float out the difference over a distance you can't tell.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #14
Quad

Tiling Complete!

So i finally finished putting up tile in my bathroom last night. A few observations:

1)This takes waay longer than anticipated, lots of 4-5 hour nights after work. Thankfully i have a supporting wife who was looking after my 18 month old.

2) Tell your kids learning fractions is not a waste of time

3)Doing math with said fractions at 12am after a long day leads to plenty of mistakes and fustrations

4) i finally learned how to use my tile saw properly on the last day

5) i planned on doing a niche, i had it partially framed out and i was going to cut into my CBU once i reached the right level, until i proceeded to tile right over my planned location.

So i'm ready for grout. What color would you recommend for my Faux Carrera? i'm thinking something light greyish /silver. Can you recommend a product with a good silicone match as well?

How long after grouting do i start sealing? And do i seal before i caulk?
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
Bodie Powers
Retired cabinet maker/remodeler

Nice work, Jimmy! I like the way you continued the pattern around the inside corners.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase