Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 08-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
kmouse

Ceramic tile sealer stain problem

I had ceramic tiles installed in the shower. I was quite careful putting on the grout sealer (Aqua Mix) with a foam brush so that there was only an inch on either side of the grout line that I needed to clean up (with paper towel) with in a couple of minutes. The tile is stained and I can't get it off. I have tried tile cleaner and grout renew. I could not really believe this ... tried the sealer on other ceramic tile and procelein tile, but the sealer wipes off easily. I went back to the shower again today, thinking I needed to be more diligent in getting the sealant off the tile. Same problem! Why the problem? What do I do? Yes. a razor blade helps a little to take off the sealant, but that is ridiculous
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
kmouse

further information

I continued the probe. I used the grout sealer that I had on hand. When I went into the Aqua Mix web site, I realize that the one I used is for porcelein, not ceramic.
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Ken.

You're gonna need to tell our helpful folks specifically which Aqua Mix sealer you used and specifically what tile you're putting it on. Some photos may be helpful.

Porcelain tile, by the way, is ceramic tile.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Ken

What CX said.

We need photos and the exact name of the product you used. Also, how long have you had it?

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
kmouse

further information

The stain is to the left and right of the light spot in the photo ... streaks. Not the best. The sealer is simply called Aqua Mix Grout Sealer. I know this appears "unhelpful" ... Aqua Mix has many grout sealers (like Sealers Choice Gold), but only one by this name. I would have to go back to HD for tile detail as I have no packaging around.
Attached Images

Unread 08-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
doitright

Hi Ken

You are correct, it is Aqua Mix Grout Sealer. It's a water based product. Your tiles aren't stained, but I see where the excess wasn't buffed off while still wet.

In the future, try buffing with a micro fiber vs. paper towels. According to Aqua Mix directions, the excess must be removed within 5 minutes. I think you will happy with the results.

Getting back to your issue. If you have any Barkeepers Friend handy, I would start with that. Normally we suggest to start with reapplication of the sealer, but I don't think that will help in your case.

If the Barkeepers Friend doesn't work, you could try some Aqua Mix Nano Scrub.

This is taken directly from the Product Data Sheet:

Limitations to the Product
Do not allow sealer to dry on tile surface because a residue will be
visible. If this occurs, use Aqua Mix® NanoScrub® and scrub with a
nylon pad

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

Unread 08-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
kmouse

Thanks for the response

Sorry I'm so slow ... consumed with other issues. I ran into a tiler who was working down the street. He suggested I try methyl alcohol or acetone on a extra piece of the tile I was using. I applied the Aqua Mix ... when I took off the excess a residue remained as in the shower ... and took it off with acetone . I then went to the shower with the
acetone . It works with a little elbow grease. The store that carried Aqua Mix products in our smaller city did not carry Nano Scrub. I would have needed to get that from a larger place, but my problem is under control. A couple of other comments. I know that it defies belief that I tried to take off the excess Aqua Mix as soon as possible (within minutes), but that is the truth. I experimented with two other tiles, one ceramic, one porcelain, that I applied the Aqua Mix to and wiped off the excess without incident. I tried to apply the Aqua Mix three times on the "shower tiles", the first where I did the whole shower, and two "test strips" with the same results. Each time wiping off with absorbent toweling immediately. So I remain perplexed.
I was wrong to describe the tile as stained. I should have said residue was left as that would have been more accurate.... so how am I completing the sealing? ... with another Aqua Mix product, Same Day Grout Sealer where the fine print says to use with ceramic tile. It wipes off the way it should. No residue.

Last edited by kmouse; 08-11-2013 at 10:45 PM.
kmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
doitright

Hi Ken

Glad to hear everything is under control.

I'm confused. What did you use?

Unread 08-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
kmouse

Thanks again

I used Aqua Mix Same Day Grout Sealer. I note that the chemical composition of it is different from Aqua Mix Grout Sealer, and the web site does appear to make some differentiation in where to use the two products, it doesn't make any sense to me that they should not be inter-changeable.

Ken
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
doitright

Hi Ken

What I meant to say is "How did you remove the residue?"

Unread 01-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
laura173

I have the same "residue" problem on a large scale throughout the NEW shower. Please share the cleaning procedure you used. When you used the acetone, did you apply with a sponge and wipe off? Did you scrub with a brush? Something else? Acetone is nail polish remover. Is that what you used?
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Laura, if you're gonna try the Acetone, I would buy a quart at one of the big box stores. Dab a little on a rag and scrub a small area.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
doitright

Hi Laura

We should start you in a new thread for your project.

Same question, what sealer did you use and on what surface?

Photos will help.

Sent from my Note 3 on Tapatalk

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase