Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
rus3736

shower on slab questions from a first-timer

I spent 5 months working a little at a time demolishing the old shower made from 1" thick mortar w/the chicken wire lathe. After finishing that I hired a carpenter to re-do the framework and a plumber to rough in the new drain (the old one was cast-iron and surprisingly still draining). I just glued the drain base to my drainage pipe and am about to start the pre-slope. My first question about the preslope is the material I should use. On this forum I read a few days ago to fill in the whole in the slab with mortar. So I was double-checking everything last night and I'm not sure I got the right mortar. I got the Quikrete Mortar Mix from Lowe's but wondering if I can use that since mortar works best when it has something to stick to (like bricks). My shower is on a slab. Secondly, when I slope the preslope should I start from the same height on each side of the shower? My shower is rectangular. I am planning on tacking a 2 x 4 to the curb when I slope it so the mortar doesn't fall on the floor. I'm having trouble posting a pic to this thread though I will keep trying. Thank you so much to all the tile guys,plumbers, etc. that contribute to this site.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
rus3736

here it is
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

Welcome Richard,

Sand mix is used for your mud bed. This link shows how to mix deck mud.

http://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/deck-mud/

Use the mortar mix for your curb. We use bricks for curbs on concrete and you would want the curb installed for your preslope.

No curb, walk-in shower.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Looks like he already has a wood curb which will work fine. I would fill the hole in the slab with sand and use concrete for the last 4 inches. A little slurry of thinset on the edge of the slab will bond it all together. I would use lath and fat mud on the curb after the liner wraps it.

Check out the "shower construction info" thread in the liberry.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
rus3736

glue for liner?

now i am putting the shower liner in and it is only about 3 inches high on 2 sides. my curb isn't much higher but for peace of mind i would like my liner to go up a little higher. Can i get some more pvc liner and glue it to the existing liner? and if so, what type of glue should i use? i have some pvc glue for pvc pipes if you think that would suffice.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Richard.

Your pan liner must extend vertically on your walls at least three inches above the top of your shower curb or six inches, whichever is higher.

You can seam the PVC pan liner material with the appropriate glue, which is not the same glue used for PVC pipe. Your local home center will likely have the Oatey brand and you want the X-15 glue, which will say it is for the liner. You want to make one seam across the width of your liner in an area that does not cross the drain.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
rus3736

thank you! i took care of it. i was kind of in a panic thinking i was going to waste the whole liner. my next step is to slip the liner over the bolts on the bottom drain flange then seal the bottom flange to the liner w/silicone caulk correct?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, with the bolts in place, I usually cut a small X in the liner on top of each bolt head, then go ahead and apply silicone under the liner. Once that is done, you can push the liner over each bolt head and place the top flange in place and tighten up the screws.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
rus3736

Sloping the curb

I dont understand why there is a preslope to everything except the curb. If you just slope the mortar it seems like the moisture that soaks through would have no where to go.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

Moisture does evaporate.

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
cx
Da Home Builder

Richard, there absolutely should be a slope to drain on the top of your curb as well as any other horizontal surface in the wet area. It's the waterproofing membrane that is required to be sloped and it must be at least 1/4" per horizontal foot of run. For a curb top that's seldom more than 1/8th of an inch.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
rus3736

i am going to caulk the liner to the drain base tonight. Any suggestions on if I should cut the hole for the drain first and caulk from the center or just leave one side unattached to the studs and lifting the liner from the side to caulk and smooth out the air bubbles toward that side. I'm also having trouble locating that circular piece w/the slits that allows you to wrap the liner around the studs when pulling the liner over the curb. Is that piece a necessity? it seems like you could just cut a piece to serve your purpose and glue it to the liner w/liner glue
Old 10-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
cx
Da Home Builder

You wanna cut the hole and apply your caulking from the center, Richard. Several examples in the Shower Construction section in our Liberry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
I'm also having trouble locating that circular piece w/the slits that allows you to wrap the liner around the studs when pulling the liner over the curb.
I'd have a lotta trouble, too, on accounta I got no idea what you're lookin' for there.

There are pre-formed dam corners that are most specifically not slit and made to cover the slits you sometimes must make when forming your pan liner at the ends of your shower curb. You'll see examples of those in that same section of the Liberry. And yes, they're very necessary and the bigger the better for my dinero.

If that's not what you're talking about, we'll need to wait for someone who has a better grasp of the situation.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
rus3736

haha, yeh that's what i was talking about.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
rus3736

thanks for all the help CX!
I got this caulk at lowes the other day because it is advertised as "Tub & Tile" Caulk for kitchens and baths and it advertises that it is water-tight. So after I put it on I'm reading more about it and it also says that it is not approved for aquariums or other surfaces below the waterline. It does not contain silicone but it said that it bonds ceramic, porcelain, plastics, etc. so I thought that would work for sealing the drain base to the liner. So I guess my real question is, does it matter if it is not silicone caulk because with the way the shower is sloped toward the drain this caulk shouldn't be submerged in water the whole time right? Right now I have the clamping ring on snug allowing it to dry and I think when I take it off tonight I'm going to make some indentions in the liner so I'm not covering the weep holes anymore. Again, thanks for your help!
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase