Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 09-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Aesthetic Tile Works
AestheticTileWorks

medium bed mortar?

I have been told to start using medium bed mortar on all tiles larger than 15". What are yall's thought am I way behind or is this new?
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Lump
Tile sales/installation central WI

That's we're we are at any tile with one side 15" or larger is large format. So medium bed is our choice and also back burning the tile.

Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pocket.

NTCA Proud Member
ICRI certified moisture technician
Lump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mmmm, who was it told you that, Jeremiah?

Did he/she/they tell you why you must do that?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Aesthetic Tile Works
AestheticTileWorks

Good to know! I have always back butter all tiles 10" and up. This forum is all I got when it comes to keeping up with the modern day of tile setting. I havent seen or heard any problems with using thinset what is the reasoning behind it?
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Aesthetic Tile Works
AestheticTileWorks

Dal tile has a huge sign that says "STOP medium bed mortar on all tiles larger than 15 inches" then on the bottom of the sign has Custom Building Products
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Sounds like they're telling you to stop using such mortars, non?

Biggest problem with all that kinda hype is that there ain't no medium bed mortars far as the tile industry is concerned.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
Lump
Tile sales/installation central WI

I believe the 15" mark comes from the NTCA but don't quote me on that. google "tile tv tile tip" you'll see a custom product shown there used with a large format tile.

Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pocket.

NTCA Proud Member
ICRI certified moisture technician
Lump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

I think that's good advice, Jeremiah, but it's really more about your notch size than it is about tile size. With the poor quality floors we often get, and large tile with deeeep ridges or patterns on the back, a 1/2" notch is often needed to get that perfectly flat floor you want; and thinset is not really up to the job, especially with heavier tile. You'll get shrinkage and/or sagging that only a medium-bed can handle.
The modern medium-beds are so workable and creamy, with such a great bond, that I will often use them on 12x12 too, even with a 3/8" notch. It's just easier to get a better looking job. I always use medium bed for getting even as small as 12x12 stone tile flat.
Unread 09-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
bulldog tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
Biggest problem with all that kinda hype is that there ain't no medium bed mortars far as the tile industry is concerned.
Need to tell that to Laticrete. They market their 220 as a medium bed mortar.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bulldog tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
Wink

You might be able to hold your breath on this.. Coming to a strore near you!
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I've used medium bed mortar on large tiles over floors that were not perfectly flat, but with large tiles over floors that were perfectly flat I used regular thin set, although always a good quality thin set. And being an experienced mud man, I was often able to make my floors nearly flat.

As to notch size, only two things need be considered: the flatness and smoothness of the substrate and that of the back of the tile. If both surfaces are flat and fairly smooth there is no reason to use large notches and anything other than a good quality thin set mortar.

I will agree that medium bed mortar and larger notches are the way to go when the above conditions do not exist, but tile size by itself is a poor indicator.

Oh, and did I tell you I used to make my own . . . . . no, better not go there.

The floor below is Jerusalem stone over mud -- using good old white VersaBond.
Attached Images

Last edited by John Bridge; 09-28-2012 at 11:07 AM.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
Aesthetic Tile Works
AestheticTileWorks

Thanks for everyone's input. I always spend alot of time preping my floors flat when it come to larger tiles. My floors come out flat without lippage I do alot of 1/8" and 1/16'" grout joints so lippage is not allowed. Maybe the medium bed mortor will save me time and material. I do fight thinset alot to prevent lippage.
Unread 09-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Dobri

All my work is done with Schluter system therefore i use Ditra Set mortar on all my installation. Ditra set allows me to mix it to the desired consistency depending on the size tile the job requires and never had to worry about sagging or shrinking of the mortar. You could install tile mosaic tile or 24"x24" 1/2 thick marble tile. If i have glass tile to install over Kerdi i use Glass Tile Adhesive Mortrar by Laticrete.
As far as the trowel size...for any tile bigger then 12x12" i use 3/8" or 1/2" square notch trowel. Back buttering the tiles is a must for me despite the size.

Last edited by Dobri; 09-30-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Dobri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
Obie1
Tile Contractor

if you look on any thinset bag it will tell you what the max thickness for that product is. If Im going to be installing a tile with a notch trowel that will exceed that thickness than I go with a medium bed(which is usually anything over 12X12") Most of my go to mortars are medium bed anyway. I love to use laticrete 4XLT, as well as Tec 3in1. They also have some really good non sag qualities which is why I use them on some smaller tile installs too.

ELITE TILE WORKS
(805)845-8787
Southern California ceramic and stone tile contractor serving Santa Barbara and Ventura counties
http://www.elitetileworks.net/

Obie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
Steve Taylor

It is all about the thickness of the mortar between the tile and the substrate. Thin Set mortar should not be applied greater than 1/4" after the tile is embeded in the mortar. If it is applied thicker it will shrink and crack; weakening the bond to the tile. Medium bed mortars are applied up to 3/4" thick. To date there are no Industry standards for Medium Bed mortars, so most of us sell a thin set mortar that can be used up to 3/4" thick; check the bags before using. These products meet the requirements for a thin set, but have shrinkage controlled. So if the floor or tile are not acceptably flat and you need a thicker layer of mortar, use one that can be applied as a medium bed mortar.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase