Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
JB_Selig
JB

Tiling a 72x42 Platform Deck for Drop-In Tub

When installing a drop-in tub, do the pros bring the tile under the lip of the tub or tile to the edge of the tub rim. Since I am installing an oval tub, with oval rim, I rather set the tiles underneath and not deal with cutting tile curves to go against the edge of the rim/flange.

I am going to be installing a Kohler SUNWARD 72"X42" oval soaking tub. The tub will drop into a wood frame covered with 1/2" cement board. The oval tub has an 3" oval flange that will rest on top of the platform deck. The tub has supporting feet and I plan to put mortar under the tub as well for additional stiffness.

Kohler recommends against allowing the rim to bear weight by being in contact with the deck. The weight of the tub & water must be via its feet.

If I measure carefully, I figure I can let the tub sit 1/16" above the deck tile and then use Latticil to caulk the gap between the tub rim and the tiled deck.

I would appreciate any advice as I pre-plan box construction.

Thx,

Jonathan
Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I usually install the tiled deck level and flat and then set the tub in the hole mashing it down into cement.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome back, Jonathan.

What Davy said.

I would recommend you leave a gap of at least 1/8th of an inch between tub flange and tile surface for your flexible sealant.

Use plenty of shims or spacers to ensure you have that gap all around when you set the tub.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
JB_Selig
JB

Access Panel?

Thanks for the input thus far.

ANother question about the platform/deck. The Roman bath fixture will be mounted through the tile that covers the deck. I also plan to tile the apron (front of the platform). This means the tub platform will be completely enclosed, allowing no access to the Roman fixture, drain or plumbing. Any suggestions how I can make a removable servicing panel for access at a later date. This will be an alcove installation, so there will be no access through adjoining walls.

Is covering the platform/decl in CBU sufficient, or is Kerdi recommended? I was planning to use Kerdi for the wall tile that will be 24" high from the tub deck.

Thx,

Jonathan
Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
reefone
tile setter

do you have access from under the tub like a basement?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
cx
Da Home Builder

I would generally recommend making the access through a wall other than the tub front, but you can make an access panel in your tile surface if you like.

Type access or panel or removable into the Advanced Search feature and ask for Titles. You'll see some discussion on the subject that might give you some ideas for your application, which we cannot see from over here.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I have made access panels many times by cutting the plywood front in 3 pieces instead of one large piece. Install the CBU the same way and then the tile with corner dots only in case you ever want to get back in there. Save extra tiles. No one ever likes a panel that shows. They don't want to see it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
precison_tile
Tile Contractor

This is how I do mine.
Attached Images

my tile pics
PRECISION TILE on FLickR
precison_tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
precison_tile
Tile Contractor

DO NOT install the panel yet. Tile the wall with that panel in or out, but make sure thejoints stay clean and clear. I use tile Wedges and tape to hold it in place while I'm working, cause it likes to fall out.

Once tiled, carefully drill the 4 holes through the tile with a good brazed diamond bit, so it is a clean hole. (the holes need to be same as the pilot holes in the board.

Mount your access panel and hold it in with Wedges and tape. Use inch and a quarter " BackerOn" Hardi Screws (the square drive type) and secure the panel into place. and make sure it's flush with the wall.
CAULK the joint between the panel and and the wall.
Let it dry.
take out the wedges, and Caulk the small wedge holes.

Grout over the screw holes if the grout blends, or get a blending color grout.

If you ever need to take it out, scatch out the grout holes exposing the screws, cut the caulk perimiter, and remove the panel.

In the next to last photo, you can kind of see how the studs are doubled up from inside.

***FYI I did NOT paint the red gaurd on the studs inside the tub deck. That was the plumber and homeowners bright idea
Attached Images

my tile pics
PRECISION TILE on FLickR

Last edited by precison_tile; 09-14-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #10
precison_tile
Tile Contractor

As for the tub itself, Always tile the deck first. The plumber should know that the tub either will be shimmed (if it has a base) or will set it into a bed of Drywall mud, fill the tub halfway, then once it dries, caulk the perimeter of the tub to the deck.
Otherwise, once the tub is used the first time, the weight from the water + the person moves the tub up and down and the caulk will crack eventually.

Good luck with your project and please post some photos

my tile pics
PRECISION TILE on FLickR
Old 01-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #11
cx
Da Home Builder

Thread's more than four years old, Pete, and I hope the OP has completed his project by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
The plumber should know that the tub either will be shimmed (if it has a base) or will set it into a bed of Drywall mud...
For future visitors I hope neither they nor their plumbers would consider using drywall mud to bed a drop-in tub. That's a job for a Portland-based mortar mix unless the tub manufacturer specifies something else.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase