Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 06-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #481
Steve Taylor

We recommend wetting the tiles first and most have installers have found this helpful. As you suggested, too much water in the joints can lead to shrinkage. So it is important to only dampen the surface and remove any standing water in the joints.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #482
Motordoctor

Will the Fusion Pro grout stick to its cured self? Meaning if I stopped and left some residual in adjoining tile grout joints, if I go over that spot a day later will there be a problem with that? Will the new stick to the old? If not, what's the recommended procedure in this case? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #483
cx
Da Home Builder

1. Yes, it will.

2. No, it won't.

3. See #1.

4. See 1 through 3.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #484
Motordoctor

Thanks. I had 4 tiles on the perimeter with wet mortar under them so I didn't grout those joints yet. The Mrs (SWMBO) is getting cranky about the kitchen being out of commission for so long so I have to make it look like I'm doing something

Last edited by Motordoctor; 07-12-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Motordoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #485
barradas23
Tile Magician

I was talking about the clean up process with Paul which uses a microfiber rag after the sponge
Will this work paul?

Sent from Mr B's phone
innovating tile installation in austin tx....me vs fiberglass pans war
barradas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #486
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

It'll work just fine. We've done essentially the same thing by wrapping a cloth around a sponge.....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #487
barradas23
Tile Magician

Just ordered 8 will report back on performance

Sent from Mr B's phone
innovating tile installation in austin tx....me vs fiberglass pans war
barradas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #488
Executive Flooring

Oscar, I don't use that exact sponge but i do use a full microfiber one and it works great.

Laz, if your still wrapping a microfiber clothe around a sponge I would highly recommend buying a couple full microfiber sponges. The amount of time you will save by not having to wrap the clothe around the sponge makes a huge time difference.... At least in my opinion

The one thing I will say is that one of the first sponges I bought and tried had kind of a long nap to it and pulled on the grout a bit much. Try to find one that has extremely short loops/nap, I find they work a whole lot better
Old 07-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #489
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Ray~While the "sponge trick" works pretty well, after using Fusion a number of times, I've taken to simply using a regular well wrung-out sponge and making two passes over the tile. If haze remains, particularly with a high gloss tile, I give it a bit of time and just buff with the microfibre.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Old 07-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #490
Motordoctor

Dumb question here (it's what I'm best at . When you wipe down the tiles after you load up the grout joints, are you able to keep the grout flush with the tiles? Even with a light touch I still can't make them level with the tiles. Or is that just normal. Thanks. This Fusion Pro is the only grout I have ever used so I don't have anything to compare it to.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #491
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Fusion Pro is a fairly new "leading edge" type of grout. You need a couple of new, very flat sponges and a light touch. You want to wring the sponges out WELL. The first "pass," which should be done within a couple of (literally) minutes is in a circular motion to re-emulsify the grout. Give it a minute or two and use a well wrung out sponge to "dress" the tile in a diagonal motion.

You may need to repeat, depending on the tile. Let it set for a bit and buff it with a microfibre for haze removal. More important on shiny tile than on textured one's.

The same applies to standard grout....but you may (or may not) need to buff it out quite as much later.

I may only add that typically, the grout in ANY installation is generally slightly below the level of the tile. This is normal.....

Old 07-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #492
Motordoctor

Here's a couple of pictures.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #493
jwmezzanotte

Probably mentioned before, but aquamix grout haze remover works amazingly well if there is residue or a sheen left from fusion. I had a very stubborn haze left on a strange type of porcelain recently, hours of scrubbing could not fix what took minutes with the haze remover.

I've used probably 20-30 gallons of fusion, but for whatever reason we don't play well together. I've had more luck with a competing product.

That's not to say I see anything wrong with fusion, all of the jobs I've used it on have held up.
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #494
Carter907

The best way I've found to use fusion is on VERY Small grout lines! But if that's not the case, just work very quickly, use as little water as possible and a very light touch. I've also found that heavy duty dense sponges like the 3m commercial type work better than the hydrophilic type, at least in my experience.

At a recent TCNA meeting, they were showing us the wash with a microfiber towel method. Been playing with that, but it's weird. The theory is that with a full size towel, you get 8 sides per rinse. You can also use it to towel drag, which helps a lot with the haze. The only real issue I see is that microfiber towels are expensive, and grout destroys them quickly.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #495
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter
At a recent TCNA meeting, they were showing us the wash with a microfiber towel method.
What sort of meeting would that have been, Carter?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase