Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Wayne555211

Wooden shower pan

Is it possible to build a shower pan from wood, then use dura rock or hardie board with Kerdi membrane on top, prior to tiling?
Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Wayne.

Not at all sure what you have in mind there. CBU is an appropriate substrate for Kerdi, although the manufacturer prefers gypsum board. If you covered your shower pan with such material, properly installed (would hafta be over plywood or OSB), you could apply Kerdi to it.

But I'm afraid I don't understand how you intend to construct a properly sloped shower pan of such materials and have them end at anything but maybe a linear drain.

Tell us more about this plan.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Welcome Wayne.

Yes build the subfloor out of wood as explained in Kerdi's installation instructions, then cover it with deck mud or their foam pan.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Wayne555211

I was thinking of making a wooden PAN (the subfloor is wood anyway - normally the mortor is protected from getting wet since it would destroy the subfloor if it did). I would use the Dutra or the Kerdi fleece over cement board for the water proof part.... Did you guys read my first post?
Old 07-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Wayne555211

Wooden pan could be made very solid and exactly sloped cutting 2x material on a table saw.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
dhagin

Ya know Wayne, anythings possible IMO. Ya wanna build some kinda wood sloped thing and cover it with backer board & Kerdi in your own house, that's your choice. How ya planning on getting the drain to work?

Will this sloped wood thing work & last? Highly unlikely. Kinda curious why you'd wanna go and do something like that...

Much easier to follow Kerdi's installation instructions and set yourself up for success.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
Old 07-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Wayne555211

I figure that the wood pan is a lot cheaper and easier to construct. A custom plastic pan that accepts tile seems to cost about $500. I used the shower drain that tightens between the plastic of a fiberglass formed shower before. I would put the kerdie, and or a membrane between that. The cement board is pretty much like a mud base. Just that the wood below starts a 1/2 in away rather than from 1 1/2 to 3 inches away. None of that (including a normal mud base) should get wet anyway...

Just an idea.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
dhagin

1- With Kerdi, it's best to use a Kerdi Drain.
2- Materials for a mud shower floor cost about $25 depending on it's size. It's just sand & cement.

Read thru the Kerdi Shower Handbook and take a look at the mud base details. Also check out the Liberry for how to build your own mud base.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=5434
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=36312

We've walked many many first time DIYers though the process successfully. There's also a thread showing how to build a test shower floor to practice shaping a mud floor.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=83577

Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
Did you guys read my first post?
Yup. You read my first response?

Wayne, there is nothing you can build with wood or any similar material that is gonna be less expensive or easier than making a properly sloped shower floor from deck mud. Nothing at all.

Have you read the Installation Handbook for the Kerdi shower system on the Schluter website? Shows both the proprietary foam tray and deck mud methods of constructing the shower floor.

I've done a bit of woodwork and I've built a few mud shower pans and I assure you you really wanna do the mud floor.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
Wayne555211

Mud is cheap. But, I have carried this stuff up many floors in an elevator before and I am not looking forward to it again. This time I will be on the 3rd floor of a nice condo building that was stick built (OSB on the floor). Mud is a possibility. But, to save time, etc. other people have paid $500 for that pre-formed plastic pan that gets tile on top, so I do think this idea is a relevant possibility.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
Wayne555211

Sorry, I think your first response was changed while I was in the process of responding ...
Old 07-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
dhagin

This your place Wayne?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
Wayne555211

My rental. Gypsum shower pan, that's funny....
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
dhagin

3rd floor condo, with other owner(s) below? I just did this exact same thing with a mud + Kerdi shower.

Pay for a helper to carry the mud if you don't wanna carry it, I did. You'll still be ahead on $$. The consequences of a leak are not minor IMO. Do it right and sleep well at night with no worries.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
Wayne555211

OK, so we have proven that mud and Kerdi is viable ..... Back to the question, how about wood and Kerdi. After this shower is done, I was thinking about making a wooden hot tub or swim pool ....

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase