Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
lamarcd

NEED HELP!!! Excess dried grout on glass backsplash

Over the weekend I let my wife talk me into putting up a backsplash in our kitchen. After all the tile were cut and placed on the wall I decided to grout the the backsplash. I ended up falling asleep and when I woke up all the grout that was smeared onto the backslash had DRIED and is stuck on all of my new glass tile. I forgot to mention that I did a poor job removing the excess grout in the before i went to sleep. this project went from the "MONA LISA" to a piece of crap in a couple of hours. We have tried Sulfumiac acid sold at Home Depot to even a very low grade of steel wool both worked however not that efficiently. the steel wool isn't scratching the surface of the tile...thank GOD. and the acid is in my opinion not doing anything at all but making a mess. I NEED HELP WITH RETURNING SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE A NIGHTMARE BACK INTO A MONA LISA. I NEED TO GET THIS CRAP OFF BADLY!!! I have attached photos of before and after the grout was applied.
NOVICE CARPENTER,
DREW
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Drew.

The Sulfamic acid and a wood or plastic scraper are about the only tools I can suggest, and I don't really suggest they'll work very well. But the sooner you get after it the better your chances of any success at all.

It'd be helpful if we knew what kind of grout you used, of course, but since you're trying the acid I'll presume it's a cementitious grout of some sort. Sanded or un-sanded?

My honest opinion is that you get to do the backsplash again, this time setting aside a more reasonable time for grouting.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
lamarcd

thanks guys,
there has got to be a better answer out there other than pulling the stuff up...I can't take no for an answer in this case...I might try a higher grade of steel wool and see what happens.
thanks again,
Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Still haven't given us any idea what grout we're dealing with here, Drew.

Steel wool will end up being a net negative if you can get the grout off at all.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
lamarcd

It was non sanded grout.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

I don't think there's anything that will get that grout off without destroying the look of the tile. In addition, I see problems with the grouting itself. The top and bottom edges seem to have grout missing and it looks like you may have used a notched metal trowel to apply the grout. If that's true, even if you manage to get the stuff off the face of the tile the joints will still look less than perfect. The wash steps that you missed during your nap are where you tool the joints to look nice. I would write the whole thing off as a lesson and start over. Preferably when you're well rested.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
lamarcd

can you tell me the steps to getting the tile removed and replaced back on the wall? will I need to resurface the area with plaster? Tell me what needs to be done to get this where I want it to be.
thanks,
Old 06-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Hammy

Send a message via AIM to Hammy
Drew, did you grout with a 1/2 x 1/2" metal trowel?

You will NOT be able to save this backsplash.

Demo the whole thing. Next time you install tile, take that nap or even a week off before attempting to grout.

As you realized, tiling is WORK. I do not grout the whole BS before cleaning the grout. As you realized grout dries rather quickly.

Caulk it up to experience.

Hammy

Professionally Built Mold - Mildew - Moisture Resistant Showers
Using Laticrete & Schluter Products

Click here to Visit us on Face Book
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

This one is a complete loss aside from the learning experience. If you're lucky you can use a margin trowel to pop off the tiles without too much damage to the drywall. If that doesn't work, replace the drywall.

This time you'll need to do a few things;

1- Leave a 1/8" gap between the bottom row of tile and the counter. Leave the same gap between the tile and the cabinets, the tile and the window sill, the tile and the tile on the adjoining wall. This joint gets caulked closed.

2- Read the Grouting Tutorial found in our lye berry inn decks

3- Read the Caulking Tutorial found in our lye bury inn decks

4- Buy her some roses.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
pgc555

Drew,
You said you got materials from HD. Did you get the tile and grout from there also? That would at least narrow it down to Polyblend unsanded grout.
Did you possibly use MASTIC to set the tile? If so, at least you WILL get the tile off with LESS damage to the walls. Be assured , the tile is NOT re-usable.

http://www.edgestripkits.com/

Last edited by pgc555; 06-11-2012 at 07:34 PM.
pgc555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
nomoreDIY

I feel for you

My husband did the same thing though it goes not look quite like yours. It is such a pain now! I am so sad. He is trying to fix it by individually removing the grout from the glass tiles with the edge of a paperclip. Luckily, it hasn't scratched the glass. He has spent hours already doing this and it is coming along very very very slowly.

Never again....next time I will gladly pay someone.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
ginateach7

Botched tile job, repaired

My husband also left the grout on too long. When I saw it I wanted to cry, really I wanted to hit him over the head with his tiling tools. Well, he said he messed it up and he will fix it, and he did. Honestly, it looked as bad as the pictures you showed on the web site. He used dry brillo pads, an exacto knife, a dremel and glass razor blade. No one would ever know what it looked like the day he messed it up. It took us 24 hours straight to repair but it looks great. He said NEVER AGAIN, of course I said, if only you would have listened to others and followed the directions.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #13
angel10023

Acetone

Just wondering if anyone used Acetone on the glass tile to remove grout? This was suggested to me and I was told that it works pretty well.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #14
dbitton
Professional Stoner

Angela, I think Acetone would work with a premixed grout, or most caulks, but not sure about any cement grout.

Sorry about your backsplash Drew.. Tile is a brutal & unforgiving trade.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #15
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Angela.

Appears the OP used a cementitious grout (although that's never really been verified) and the acetone would have had no impact on the problem.

This thread is nearly four years old, if you hadn't noticed. No idea what was done with/to the backsplash.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase