Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
TammyLG

Post Dust

Recently there was major restoration work done at the Group home that I work at. There was a lot of holes repaired and from this a WHOLE ton of dust that was scattered around the house. Now that most of the work is completed - the hardest thing that I have encountered is attempting to clean up all this dust from the ceramic tiles (both on the floor and the counters). I have tried everything - HOT soapy water - hot water - new mop heads - different type of 'hard to remove' style cleaners but to no avail. Each time we wash the floors - they look perfect UNTIL they dry! I think without realizing it we have pushed the 'dust' further into the floor ........ is there a product that is available that will assist in removing even some of the dust from the floor??
TammyLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Danny Ferguson
Arkansas Tile Man -- Retailer

Send a message via AIM to Danny Ferguson
Sounds like a grout haze, caused by not cleaning the tile well enough during grouting. On a smooth surface tile, I would thinking a couple moppings would clean it. If it is a heavy textured tile, you may need a commercial buffer with a scrub pad.
Unread 09-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

Another thing that might help is a real good wet vac, preferably one with a tight squeegee on the head. Lotta times if we don't use ours the dirty stuff just stays on the floor and you just push it around over and over.

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Danny,
This sounds like sheetrock dust, and not grout haze. I'm sorry to say Tammy that I don't know of anything that can pull sheetrock dust out of grout once it's been wetted with water. You're right that it does "soak" into the grout and it's dang near improbable to remove after that. Perhaps someone else will come along with a solution, but I haven't found it yet.
Sorry for the bad news,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 09:19 AM   #5
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Tammy, Welcome!

After you get a few posts in you'll be allowed to post some photos. Just to clarify, you mentioned the dust was on the ceramic tiles, correct?

If so, I also think this sounds like grout haze.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase