Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
toyage

Radiant Floor heating cables--what is the best brand(s)

Electric radiant heating cables--does anyone have an opinion about which brand or brands are the best? Any brands that have a distinct advantage in terms of quality or ease installation? Any brands to avoid? I would really like to hear from guys who have done a number of installs.

Thanks!
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
MarkTarkus
Mark Christensen, Tile contractor

I have used Suntouch on a dozen or so jobs, Easy Heat and Raychem a couple of times. I thought Suntouch was the easiest to work with and seemed like the most durable. The mats are nice but pricey. Suntouch, and most companies, make a mat (cables intertwined in a roll of mesh) and a cable type (a roll of cable that you string between brackets that you attach to the floor.) The mats are usually easier to use if you have a pretty square open area. The roll cable is nice because you can weave it around obstacles a little easier (toilets, doorways, pipes walls etc.) The cables aren't too bad but you just have to keep your spacing really precise so as to not run out of cable too soon or have a bunch left over.
It's super important to not get too big of a kit for your area. You can't cut the cable. My advice would be to send a diagram of your area to whichever company you choose and they will help you select the best kit.
That's my 2 bits. I know Laticrete now has a cable but I have not used it.
MarkTarkus is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase