Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
elsieCat

Starting another bath, doing it all ourselves, ?s re ProPanel

Hi all,

Well it's been a couple of years, and now we're doing our daughter's bath, nothing as complicated, no plumbing moving/walls coming down, just a remodel to update/upgrade tub and shower.

I'm thinking of using Pro Panel around the surround, and I'm hoping to get answers to two questions:
1) Anyone have any user reviews of Pro Panel vs. Wedi that would make us avoid Pro Panel? It's FAR less expensive and if it works, I'd love to be able to use the less expensive option.

2) I see there are two possible installation methods for wall applications: the first, butting the sheets right up against each other and using polyurethane sealant to make a thick/wide joint over the seam. Alternatively, to put the sheets 1/16" apart and use a tape with a waterproofing membrane painted over.

Any thoughts on which one is better with a house that tends to move a lot?

Thanks very much again for such a FABULOUS site!
Unread 07-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Hi Elsie,

I've never used ProPanel myself, so can't somment on price, useability, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsie
there are two possible installation methods for wall applications: the first, butting the sheets right up against each other and using polyurethane sealant to make a thick/wide joint over the seam.
You have this part slightly wrong. The sealant goes on the inside edge of the board, the boards get squeezed together, and any sealant that comes out gets smoothed over the seam. It doesn't just get smoothed over a butt jointed seam.

If you use the Propanel I'd recommend the sealant method versus the liquid waterproofing and tape. I've used a ton of Wedi and I can't see the liquid and tape being easier or better than the sealant.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 04:48 AM   #3
dogboysdad

I just finished a Pro-panel install. It was very easy to work with. Deckert is correct. Basically, you glue the ends together with a Sikaflex-type material. Make sure you knock down any of the sealant that bulges out. You install the product with nails they provide. Don't be too aggressive when nailing. You might miss and punch through it.

From a price standpoint, I was impressed. At about six pounds per sheet, it was easy to carry and hold during installation.

I'll finish up grouting and sealing this week. I'll be able to give a more complete review then.
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
elsieCat

Deckert & dogboysdad, thanks very much for your replies. I understand where and how the sealant is applied now, thanks -- I'm glad I happened to write it out. Yikes.

And dogboysdad, so you used the kind of washer-attached/large-head nails? I read on the site that there are three kinds of attachers authorized, including particular screws, but the wider-head nails looked good to me, as long as they hold (did I see right they have rings down the body?).

I'd love to hear from someone who's had this installed for a while, but what you've written is greatly helpful, though -- that it seems to be the same as Wedi just less expensive. DH will be so pleased
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

I prefer the screws and the special washers. less danger of damaging the board like you would with a hammer miss. I think the screws are more "do it yourselfer" friendly.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
dogboysdad

I wasn't offered screws as an option. I would have gladly used those instead.
Unread 07-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
elsieCat

Thanks, Deckert. I'll get the screws. I agree re the hammer miss possibility. We need to foolproof this process as much as possible

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase