Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
JEC

Village Home Master bath remodel

Looking for ideas and suggestions on a complete re-model. I am open to relocating plumbing so layout can be just about anything. Originaly, had small corner shower , with garden tub. We do not want tub, looking for a large walk in style shower. Some original pics before demo.
Attached Images

www.chadwellandsons.com
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, John.

Nobody can see what you've got in a few photos and nobody can tell what you want with no information at all, eh?

I recommend you remove everything you don't like and install everything you do like in the places you'd like them. And whatever Mrs. John wants, of course.

Close enough?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
JEC

help with vapor barrier?

The demo is complete in my master bath. I have a concrete block exterior wall, which has some insulation board (1") attached to the concrete. My plan was to use cement board and kerdi. I have read several posts that no vapor barrior should be used behind kerdi. What is keeping the moisture from penetrating the concrete and getting onto the foam board? Should there be a platic vapor membrane attached to the interior of the concrete?

1- If I add sprayed foam insulation , then hung the cement board, applied Kerdi , will I be ok? Or is there some other advice to make it better?

2- I am also considering a barrier free shower again, (curbless). What is the minimum amount of mud bed to put ontop of the already poured concrete floor?
Attached Images

www.chadwellandsons.com
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
What is keeping the moisture from penetrating the concrete and getting onto the foam board?
What is the weatherproofing on the outside of the block?

1- As long as the backer board can be tight to the firring strips or studs, foam shouldn't be a problem. It's typically 'cut off' at the face of the framing.

2- How far from the drain to the farthest corner of the shower?

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
JEC

Exterior is concrete block and stucco over. No insulation on exterior, only the foam board right up to the concrete interior and then furring strips nailed thru that. I can and am thinking about building out that exterior wall to add more insulation . Gets cold up north...... So I am willing to do what ever is needed.

Farthest length will be apprx 60". Layout is not done yet, so I have not cut thru the floor and started the drain location.

www.chadwellandsons.com
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
dhagin

The stucco should have a moisture barrier behind it to prevent direct moisture like rain/snow from reaching the block. Vapor retarders/barriers are a different issue and the requirements are based on local conditions. Codes here require a vapor retarder of 1 perm or less on the conditioned (interior) side of the 'building envelope'; which is all walls, ceilings, floors abutting the exterior.

If you have room, then I'd construct a 2x wall about 1" from the block. Insulate to code minimums or better and provide a vapor retarder on the warm side. Do you have any apparent moisture issues with the block or slab?

5' x 1/4" per foot = 1-1/4" minimum mud at shower perimeter if the drain is set flush to the concrete slab.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Looks like he's in south Florida, Dana. Wouldn't want any sort of vapor retarder on the interior of that wall except for the shower area, eh?

Unread 01-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
dhagin

Yea, you're right of course if the job is in Miami. I saw that last night.

Then he posted this???

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in post 5
I can and am thinking about building out that exterior wall to add more insulation . Gets cold up north......
So John, where is this job located precisely?

Unread 01-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
JEC

This is our retirement home in Ormond Beach, Fla. Near Daytona. We do get some freezing days. Just past month we had several nights in the 20-30's.. So this cold/hot thing is all new to this Miami boy.....
I am ok with framing a 2x4 wall if needed. I just am not sure exactly where each particular layer is to be. Have read lots of info, watched the "holmes" guru and all that. I just want to make it right the first time.

www.chadwellandsons.com
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Down into the twenties in Daytona Beach, Florida, John? You makin' that up, ain'tcha?

Safest rule for installation of vapor barriers in outside walls in residential construction is, when in doubt, don't.

And that certainly applies to your net cooling climate down there. If you were to have one, you'd want it on the exterior, but you gotta be careful with that, too. I would want a good rain screen setup as Dana has suggested, and leave those walls otherwise alone.

I'd not have a vapor barrier behind your added stud wall inside as he suggested, though, but we could argue that for hours. Or days, perhaps.

Unread 01-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
JEC

No kidding, actually got coldddddddd. Had to get the pipes insulated just in case. Never had them issues b4. Thanks for the advice, Cx

www.chadwellandsons.com
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
dhagin

I'm with CX on the vapor barrier in Florida - you misdirected me with the up north bit - not recommended or needed.

Any moisture issues on the block or slab?

Unread 01-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
JEC

None, only issues I see is Master bath has a crack in the block& stucco. Potential water intrusion. I was advisedto "crack chase" the crack with a grinder & wheel, fill with a caulking inside And out.
Other than that , I have about a dozen settlement cracks on the flooring slab. I will do same, crack chase, fill, then I will radon seal the entire floor. Install underlayment material, either green skin, ditra or equiv.

www.chadwellandsons.com
Unread 01-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
JEC

I see lots of talk about wedi vs kerdi, or hardi versus durock. What is the pros and cons if any with each? Are you pro's using more Kerdi lately or staying with the cement boards?

www.chadwellandsons.com
Unread 01-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

Wedi and Kerdi area completely different products. Wedi and Kerdi Board could be compared apples to apples.

The various types and brands of CBU are a Ford/Chevy/Dodge sorta comparison.

If you want to compare surface-applied, direct bonded waterproof membranes with the traditional moisture barrier behind the wall board, that's another issue. Kerdi is just one of many, many such membranes.

Some like the membranes because you have your waterproofing immediately behind the tile surface. Others don't like it because of the relative expense and difficulty of installation. Dealer's choice.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase