Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
philli4093

New pool Travertine pool Paver advice

First, let me state that I am located in N Texas.

I am looking at embarking on building a salt water pool. This pool will be floated above the grade by about 24" in order to be at the same height as my pier and beam house foundation. Allowing us to walk out of the house onto patio that exists and then walk out onto the pool at same height. This poses some issues for decking installation.

As I understand the best way to install travertine pavers is on top of crushed rock and polymeric sand. And I believe this would be the best solution if my pool deck was at grade, but given it will be 24" above grade, it would need to be filled in with something. I have been told the best way to do this would be to place a concrete base that is tied into my existing raised patio 24" above the grade where the pool would be. If that is the case, is it best to just thin set the travertine pavers on top of the concrete? or have the concrete be a bit lower and place crushed rock and polymetric sand on top then place the pavers on top of this? Obviously the existing patio would have to have the travertine pavers thin set on top of it.

Another question I have is what are the different types of travertine pavers. I've seen them referred to as Pool pavers or just pavers. Is there a difference?

Some have offered that they are not a good surface to use for pool due to salt deteration and water expansion during winter. However, I do know this product is used in N Texas(Dallas). Any thoughts or suggestions of another product? We like the natural look.

I can purchase tumbled travertine pavers for less than $5/sqft. Are these the same as what is used for pool pavers. Does it just come down to what you seal them with?

I was actually looking at having the pool company give me a surface that I could place the pavers on and do it myself, but many questions arose as to what is the best means given my raised pool off grade.

Given being build in N texas and it will be a salt water pool, what recommendations can you make?
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
Old World Tile and Marble

concrete sand under the pavers polymeric sand is used to fill the joints only.

if on concrete though edge restraint needs to be considered to not have the concrete sand wash out

if on concrete id thinset and standard grout .......but salt hmmmmmm

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase