Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
Brookness

Removing mosaic tile backsplash

I've searched the forums, and while I know the answer is here, I'm not finding it. We recently moved into a 20 year old house. It has a "country"-ish blue mosaic tile backsplash that I'm not in love with. I think the previous owners DIY'd it...I'm sure it's not a very good job! Anyway, I would just like to remove the backsplash and maybe paint the walls. I'm going to put in new countertops (granite), so I decided this might be a good time, if it's not too big of a project. I've attached a picture, I think. Can you give me advice on how to remove this stuff, and what to expect of the walls once I get the tiles down? I'm not afraid of drywall mud! I hope this attachment works!

Thanks for your advice!
Brooke

PS-I edited to show more countertop, and what will be coming out.
Attached Images

Last edited by Brookness; 07-13-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Brookness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

All you can do is tear into it with a hammer and chisel. Remove the outlet
cover plates. Once you get started you'll get a feel for whats really going on
under the tile. A pry bar is always handy to have around. If youre going
to paint the splash instead of retile you will most definitely need to re-sheetrock. I would suggest covering your lower cabinets with some form
of protection while you demo as well as your floor. Dont forget to wear
protective goggles and gloves. A dusk mask is a must as well. Good luck
with your tear out.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Brookness

Hamilton,

I don't like your answer! I figured the hammer and chisel thing would be the way to go, but I don't like the re-sheetrocking part! Hmm...might be re-thinking this.

Does anyone else have any other ideas? ;-)
Unread 07-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
bobturner

You can resurface the tile. I don't see any other option than those 2.
Unread 07-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
Brookness

Bob,

I have not tiled before, and don't know what resurfacing the tile is. I am interested, though. The tile seems like it's up pretty well...I really don't like the tile edge. They just found a whitish border tile, and I think it looks strange.

Please explain what re-surfacing is, and how big of a project it is. I don't mind projects, but projects that take many days and render my kitchen completely useless don't seem to interest me! I didn't mind the thought of tearing out the tiles, but didn't realize that new sheetrock was a must afterwards. Of course, a sheet rock guy could knock out that small area in a very short amt. of time! Hmm...things to think about.

Thanks for any more info you can give me!

Brooke
Unread 07-13-2006, 09:50 PM   #6
bobturner

When I say resurface, I am talking about the same method you use to resurface an old bathtub. There are some DIY kits out there that are different colors. It is similar to painting . IF you are afraid of acids and the like, I would veer away from that though. or just bite the bullet and rip that tile out. YOU CAN DO IT!
Unread 07-14-2006, 06:04 AM   #7
bbcamp

Brooke, replacing sheetrock is one of the easier home improvement projects. If you are gonna be a DIY homeowner, you'll do it sooner or later. Now is a good time to get your feet wet.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #8
Dan Clark

Talking A word about replacing sheetrock

Hi. Like most DIY'ers, I used to be very nervous about taking on a project that would damage the drywall. And, if it did damage the drywall, I would make every effort to repair the drywall and NOT replace it.

While I'm no drywall expert, the prospect of replacing chunks of drywall, or complete walls or ceilings does not bother me now. By conquering my fear of drywall, I now take a more balanced view of effort. In many cases, replacing chunks of drywall or complete areas of drywall is EASIER than avoiding it or trying to patch it.

I agree with others that installing and repairing drywall will have to be one of your skills for many DIY house projects. With a few tools and techniques, you can do it. (I think tiling is much more difficult.)

Regards,

Dan.
Dan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 08:32 AM   #9
Brookness

I know howto replace sheetrock...I just don't want to! But, in the end it would be a much smaller job than it seems, and I have a dad who can do anything...If I need rescuing, he'll do it. I think I'll try it. It's not that much space, and I don't THINK it would take too long. I hope I'm right!

Brooke

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase