Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-25-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
amyaim

How to tile a corner?

I have completely gutted the bathroom, layed the hardibacker, and am now preparing the layout for the tile.

The one thing that perplexes me is how to tile a corner that meets at an exterior point. For example, if I was planning to tile the outside of the letter L.

Do I miter the edges? And, if so, is this even possible with a standard water saw? I dont recall seeing any rouded edge pieces when we purchased the tile. Help!

...And while Im at it, the subfloor in our bathroom is flush with the hardwood that we have throughout the house. After installing the hardibacker and tile, theres a pretty big jump to get in to the bathroom. Is there a product that smooths this transition?

Thanks!
amyaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-25-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
bbcamp

Welcome, Amy!

You can miter on a wet saw, but the edges will be very sharp and prone to chipping. Neither are good. You could still back miter the tile, but only cut about half the thickness, so the tile still has a factory edge, but doesn't look so thick.

You could also go shopping for a trim tile that coordinates with your field tile.

The big time tile guys will be along later with more suggestions.

Floor transitions to hardwood are pretty easy to handle. Make or buy a tapered wood strip to ease the height difference, then finish it to match your flooring. A flooring supplier can make you one if you can't do it yourself.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
laniepoo7

Send a message via Yahoo to laniepoo7
Don't forget the Schluter pieces!

I had the same dilemma to decide how to handle the outside corners of the fireplace I'm tiling, but didn't like the bullnose there. I found Schluter Jolly trim pieces at the Home Depot in a color that matched my tile almost exactly. There are many different trim types to choose from, as well as different colors. David Taylor from Tile-Experts can order anything for you that is not found at HD and he is a really swell guy!

DIY renegade...
"Watch out, she has a saw!!!"
laniepoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase