Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-26-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
GW

? re shower prep work by general contractor

A General Contractor did the shower prep for a tile job for which I have been hired as the subcontractor. I have concerns about the prep work.

The general contractor put in a concrete shower base using concrete mix, soupy pour. There are voids present around the drain. He indicated he put in pvc membrane w/ housewrap up the walls behind 1/2 inch hardibacker. He nailed the hardibacker w/ roofing nails and the nail heads are visible through the concrete at floor level. The hardibacker is nailed every 4 inches around the curb. The homeonwer claims contractor has 30 yrs experience and has expertise to know what he is doing and is not interested in hearing my concerns which are based my experience.

I believe this is not appropriate prep work:

Does anyone have experience with other contractors who have utilized this process? What were the outcomes?

Can anyone direct me to information that supports my understanding that this is incorrect prep work?
GW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

#1. A soupy pour could not give you a preslope. You need a preslope

#2. A soupy pour will not give you a final slope on the setting bed either

#3. A soupy pour likely blocked your weepholes in the drain.

#4. Nails around the curb are a no-no. NO nails anywhere below the curbline

Got pics? you can post 'em here

Jason
Unread 04-27-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

Depending on your contract you may be responsible for the defects if you continue. If you are using a ACG subcontract, YOU are responsible for the prep work if you see that it is incorrect. This is a really shitty provision in the ACG form, and it shifts the responsibility from the GC to the Sub when there is a screw up that the Sub notices or should have noticed. The AIA Sub-contract contains no such provision.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Quote:
The homeonwer claims contractor has 30 yrs experience and has expertise to know what he is doing and is not interested in hearing my concerns which are based my experience.

Walk away.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi GW,

You are correct. Common sense should tell the guy not to nail down by the floor.

And there is no good way to do a curb with cement backer board when using a regullar shower pan liner. The curb should be mud.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
GW

Exclamation additional thoughts and information...

Thanks for the replies!

Jason - I will try to get some pics and will post.

Rd Tile - I can't walk away... long story... short version - my contract is with a family-owned corporation - this is one of their homes, and I unfortunatley can't "walk away" - as much as I would like to do so!

Scooter - I am not under either contract obligation - thankfully!

Can anyone lead me to some professional journal publications/written material that will support this information so that I can provide it to the homeowner?

I learned my trade through "old school" methods - taught by a gentleman who had done this for many years. For this reason I was never told why "not" to use something - just why "to" use a certain material. He did a wonderful job training me, but unfortunately I don't have the information I need to be able to share with this homeowner what is "bad" about the decisions made by the gerneal contractor. This is the first time I am in a situation where I have not done the prep work and need some assistance in "loading my barrels".
Unread 04-27-2005, 11:09 PM   #7
ChasR
Remodeling Contractor

Hey GW

Other than point out the obvious, that he has compromised the pan liner, you are not really in a position to challenge his work because, for the most part, you can't see it. In a case like this I would ask the General Contractor to give you a letter absolving me of any responsibility for the shower construction and any subsequent leaks. I would guarentee only that the tile stick to the wall.
Unread 04-28-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
GW

Thanks for the advice ChasR. I am going to do exactly that.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase