Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 11-13-2022, 07:20 PM   #1
nelsonxn

Turbo mesh rim vs continuous rim 10" diamond tile blades

I'm a little confused about the three types of diamond tile blades: Segmented, Turbo and continuous.

I'm wet cutting and edge beveling 16"x32" porcelain tile for a shower.

My understanding is that...
  • segmented rim blades are more for rough/industrial cutting
  • Turbo mesh rim blades works for both rough and finish work but may not be that good at either
  • continuous rim blades is for fine finish cutting providing the smoothest cuts with the least chipping.

But i keep reading that the new Turbo diamond blades like the Kobalt 10" Turbo Mesh Diamond Blade will produce as fine a cut then the Kobalt or RIDGID10" continuous Diamond blades.

Some clarification would be helpful.

Thanks,

Last edited by nelsonxn; 11-14-2022 at 03:09 PM.
nelsonxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-14-2022, 06:19 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I might have an old segmented blade somewhere but it doesn't get used much. I used it for pavers, bricks and Saltillo years ago. Most of my cutting these days is with a Pearl Porcelain mesh blade, I didn't realize they called them a Turbo blade. I also have a glass blade although the Mesh blade cuts most glass fairly smooth.

I would buy the mesh blade and see if it'll do everything you need.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2022, 09:48 PM   #3
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I don't think the turbo mesh blades are the same as the old porcelain turbo blades of old. The Pearl p4 turbo mesh is one of the better blades out there.

I don't like it for a grinder but the bigger ones on a wet saw are winners.
Unread 11-15-2022, 01:35 PM   #4
nelsonxn

It appears you both are saying the mesh porcelain blades, like the Pearl P4 Mesh rim blade, should do as good or better job at producing fine straight cuts and straight bevels with little or no chipping as a comparable continuous rim blade - correct?

BTW, the mesh rim blades are still considered to be continuous rim as well, just with a mesh pattern around the rim.

I'm cutting with the Kobalt 10" wet saw. Since I'm cutting 45 degree edge bevels along 32" long porcelain tiles while leaving a 1/16th factory edge, i need the blade to stay straight and not bend or flex out. So i'm also looking for a reinforced hub. The 10" Pearl Turbo Mesh P4 blade, the 10" Kobalt Turbo Mesh Diamond blade, and the 10" RIDGID reinforced hub continious rim blade all have reinforced hubs. However, the Kobalt Mesh rim and the RIDGID continuous rim blades have the largest diameter reinforced hubs identified by the (Kobalt) blue and the (RIDGID) orange circular areas. I would think that those blades would flex or bend the least.

Is this the correct Pearl P4 Turbo Mesh blade - P4 DIA10TT?
Also the hub reinforcement seems small compared to other reinforced blades.
Name:  61c+WvOTLyL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  53.2 KB

This is the Kobalt Turbo Mesh Diamond Blade, model: CTM10P, i was thinking of buying since it has a larger diameter hub reinforcement area
Name:  kobalt.png
Views: 75
Size:  504.9 KB

This is the RIDGID 10" reinforced HUB continuous rim blade i purchased a few days ago but have not used because I'm not sure if the mesh rim reinforced hub blades will perform better than the (non mesh) continuous rim reinforced hub blades.
Name:  ridgid.png
Views: 74
Size:  499.2 KB

This is my old continuous blade that came with the Kobalt 10" wet saw. No reinforcement at all.
Name:  kobalt2.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  19.0 KB

Last edited by nelsonxn; 11-15-2022 at 06:42 PM.
nelsonxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2022, 07:06 AM   #5
CaliGrown

That’s the right P4 blade. Mesh blades are great till it binds and chips then it’s a loss. On a wet saw slow is smooth and smooth is fast; keeps ya from running into issues. On a dry grinder mesh blades don’t last long with hard porcelain, will dance and burn once they been used and abused a bit…

I like the old blades that DalTile sells, have had a few last over a year. My personal favorite now is the Troxell tile blade. It has a fat diamond rim and runs like a champ, keep a cement brick to dress it during the job especially if you’re running hard hard porcelain or quartzite.

Tom Duffy sells ‘em and so did Emser, online has ‘em too but for more than $40 cash. Here’s a pic below:
Attached Images

CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2022, 09:49 AM   #6
nelsonxn

interesting, but the Troxell blade does not have a reinforced hub so I'm afraid it will flex or bend when cutting 45 degree edge bevels.

At this point, as long as the wet saw shaft is long enough to accommodate the thicker hub and secure the shaft nut, I'm going to stick with the 10" RIDGID reinforced HUB continuous rim w/J slots blade i purchased a few days ago.

Thanks for the input.
Unread 11-19-2022, 06:06 PM   #7
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I agree with what Christopher said. The turbo mesh blades work great and cut smoothly until they bind and chip, which they are prone to do. So I don't think they are the best blades to cut at an angle with.

Also, the blades with reinforced cores tend to be thinner and can warp.

Personally, I prefer to miter freehand with a grinder. Also, my little 7-inch saw does a decent job of it because the blades are smaller and stiffer.

If I have to bevel with a 10-inch blade then I will buy cheap, continuous rim blades.

Cheap is because beveling wears out one side of the blade faster than the other. So after a bunch of beveling the blade will never cut straight again.

And continuous rim because I can use my finger to try to keep the blade from flexing. The segmented blades sting.
Unread 11-19-2022, 10:00 PM   #8
FizzDaWhizz

Hi Nelson,
I am new here... but I would advocate to not spend less than 75 dollars on a 10" blade if you wish to have a high quality bevel on a porcelain material. In my experience if you try to bevel a very durable material such as porcelain with that sized blade you can get quite a wavy bevel due to the blade being pushed by the material rather than actually cutting it freely. I am a fan of the Virginia Abrasives 10" continuous rim blades which you can pick up for around 95. The Dewalt XP 75 dollar blades are okay if you need a quick solution, but they tend to warp and wobble a bit more than Virginia. The pearl blades are quite nice and I agree that is a decent choice. I don't typically put any mesh blades on my 10" saws but instead use the mesh discs on a grinder for clean outlet cuts and other fine trimming.
In addition, I agree that a smaller, stiffer blade will get you a more reliable bevel.
Good luck! =)

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase