Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-16-2022, 06:33 PM   #1
Forrest

90 degree corner Kerdi band, corner bead, both?

Hello,

Doing my first tub surround, used goboard as my backer. Having no previous experience (and fully expecting my job to be very DIY vibe) I found it fun to work with.

Looking for advice on how to deal with this 90 degree corner transition to my drywall.

My tile (2.5X10 ceramic) will run to the edge of the go board butted up to a shluter jolly trim piece. Not sure if I will go glass door/wall or curtain, but leaning towards glass if budget allows.

Should I run a strip of kerdi band and bend it around this 90 degree corner before installing tile/edge trim? Should I put a corner bead on first, and then put in a strip of kerdi band wrapping around the corner? Or should I do neither and just install tile and edge trim, and then mud/paint the drywall section and put a line of caulk in between the edge band and the drywalled section.

Thanks for the advice!
Attached Images

Unread 06-17-2022, 07:29 AM   #2
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

How you handle that corner depends on where you want to put your tile.

Do you want tile on the 90 return wall?

If the answer is no and you only want tile on the GoBoard wall then you install a metal corner bead on that corner. No drywall compound on the tile side of the corner.

You don't need any Kerdi band because it's outside the wet area. If you wanted to wrap the tile around the corner then K-band would be perfectly fine there.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase