Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 11-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #16
earnsdorff

I see this is an older thread but I'm debating using this board myself.
I bought a sheet to do a quick trial. It is much stronger than the Schluter board and appears to actually be decent stuff. I'll put some thinset and tile on it to see how well it bonds.

The only other board available to me is JM's Go Board. I have looked and looked for something else but unless I order a pallet of board I'm not finding any other choices.

The GoBoard doesn't appear to be as rigid but at least it has some better information available for it.

Has anyone used the Sentinel board and have any feedback?
Unread 11-15-2021, 02:46 PM   #17
kevreh

Personally I would steer clear of Sentinel board. Reasons;

- Doing a quick search produces few results beyond hits from Floor and Decor and various discussions. First (2) google results pages provide no links to a manufacturer site with supporting information.

- Floor and Decor seems to be the main reseller. I like Floor and Decor but gives me the vibe of a manufacturer who's using Floor and Decor to get into the market. Avoids a lot of scrutiny (which we want for new products).

- Goboard is made by a company that has manufactured other construction boards (ex. exterior commercial sheathing). A win in my book.

- And the first 5 google hits for Goboard are a mix from the manufacturer, lowes, and menards.

As far as I can tell Sentinel has done little to be a good citizen and is using a single retailer. That equates to using gullible people as guinea pigs. Goboard and Schluter board are very reputable and have stood the test of time.

I may not be 100% right in my critique of Sentinel but thats my take after having looked into them here and there over the last year (or when Floor and Decor started carrying them).
Unread 11-15-2021, 02:48 PM   #18
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Eric.

What is your intended use for the product?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #19
earnsdorff

Thanks Kevreh! I think you made a good assessment of the Sentinel offering. The unexpected part is the Go Board appears to even cost a little less.

Thanks CX! The board is for my bathroom remodel and it will be used for my shower walls. It's nothing huge - just 3'x5' shower. I did buy the 2 rain shower head, hand held and body spray combination valve/fixtures for it.

I'm doing a mortar bed with a bonded FloFX drain. I'm using Wedi membrane on the floor and using Hydro Ban liquid with fiberglass cloth in all corners and seams (with polyurethane sealant between the foam boards.

I've ended up with quite a variety of materials which I already know is a bit of a risk. I am making a small mock up to make sure it all works as expected.

I'm just a DIY'er trying to make sure my shower lasts.

The foam board has been particularly tough to find many options.
Unread 11-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #20
cx
Moderator emeritus

OK, for a shower. Lots of other options to build the shower with the same form of waterproofing.

If you'll start a project thread in the Advice forum, our folks will be happy to help you with it.

If you prefer, I could move your last post to begin your thread if you'll tell me what you'd like as a generic title.

Unread 11-15-2021, 06:17 PM   #21
earnsdorff

Thanks! That would be great!
Title: Shower wall waterproofing/foam board options.
Unread 11-15-2021, 07:05 PM   #22
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not very generic, Eric, but we'll give it a try.

Last edited by cx; 11-16-2021 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Add Link
Unread 04-04-2022, 07:21 AM   #23
md9918

Well I went ahead and rolled the dice on Sentinel. Kerdi Board is back-ordered until July according to Floor & Decor, and I just needed to replace a section of a wall I had done with Kerdi membrane and didn't want to buy a whole roll of Kerdi and a whole sheet of drywall just for that spot.

For starters, it's definitely a Chinese manufactured and designed product-- the file name for their brochure on the F&D website is a string of Chinese characters.

The board feels pretty rigid, I think due to their "polymer/mortar" coating. The fiberglass threads embedded in the surface create a waffle-like texture that I think should promote surface adhesion, but it does mean you need a bit more thinset than with a fleece-coated surface. Cutting is easier than with fleece-backed boards since there's no fabric to cut through-- but you will need to replace your razor blade after a few boards.

I also bought their waterproofing band. It's a bit flimsier than Kerdi Band, pilling at any high points when I'd draw the taping knife over it, but the tile adhered just fine. Their computer-generated video featuring upbeat club music on the F&D website says to use polyurethane adhesive for the band, but the package itself says to use unmodified thinset. I used neither (ha) because Versabond was what I had on hand and it worked fine.

Their anchors are prone to stripping from what I've read elsewhere-- probably better to buy the Schulter anchors if you can.

At the end of the day, at its literal core, polystyrene board is polystyrene board. The primary potential failure point here is their "mortar acrylic coating," which to me seemed to be just fine, but time will tell.

*Edit: Not a pro-- but this is the only thread I saw here on this subject.

Last edited by md9918; 04-04-2022 at 09:03 AM.
md9918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2022, 04:18 PM   #24
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

So Mapei has a new foam board and it sure looks like the old USG board. Does anyone here still talk to little birdies that confirm these types of rumors?

Name:  PXL_20220201_181108769.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  43.5 KB
Unread 04-11-2022, 04:39 PM   #25
cx
Moderator emeritus

Haven't heard any twittering about that, Jim, but I'll see if one of our resident MAPEI birdies will comment.

Unread 04-12-2022, 05:47 AM   #26
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

This Mape-bird can tweet a bit about Mapeguard Board. It is definitely not the old USG board just rebranded. We have been working on this for some time, and developed it with the mothership in Italy from the ground up. We are working on getting our plants stocked with all the sizes right now, so you likely will not see it hitting distributors for a little while still. In the meantime, here are some of the product bullet points:

• Rigid and impact-resistant board
• High-density polystyrene waterproof core
• Coated with a superior-performing waterproof membrane and facer (both sides)
• Light-colored, durable surface
• Low perm rating; approved for use in steam rooms and showers
• Tab washers not required on floors and walls
• Easy to cut with a standard utility knife without mess
• Quick and easy to install
• Lightweight and easy to handle
• High flexural strength
• Dust-free cutting
• Attaches to wood or metal framing
• Lifetime system warranty when combined with other qualifying products

We will have 6 size options. In 5' lengths: 1/4", 1/2", 5/8", 1", 2" and then in 8' length: 1/2" thickness board.

If you need more specific info, fire away! I am on the road this week so I may be a little sluggish to respond, but I wont forget about you.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2022, 12:15 PM   #27
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Sounds like it does everything but jump on the wall and fasten itself.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2022, 04:00 PM   #28
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Please make a 4' x 8' in 5/8" & 1"

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase