Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-10-2020, 07:17 AM   #1
Sparky1968

Bathroom Renovation

I am beginning a renovation of a bathroom i installed in my house 21 years ago. Is it possible to adhear durrock to existing ceramic wall tile, to avoid a complete tear-out?
The existing tile is 4-1/4" square attached with thinset to 1/2" durrock. I assume that attempting to remove this tile would also destroy the durrock and require a complete gut.
I am removing an existing Jacuzzi tub and installing a walk-in shower. I have done a lot of tile work, but only new construction.

Thanks,
Gary
Unread 04-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome Gary,

I don't think so; Durock wants to be embedded in mortar and then screws down.

If the existing tile is well adhered you might be able to tile over it after applying a primer designed for that purpose. Many of the companies that make mortar products offer such a primer; I believe Mapei is one such company.

But I am confused a little. Does the existing tub do double duty as a shower?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Gary.

I'm a little confused. Dan says your Durock must be bedded in thinset mortar, which is correct for floor applications, but you appear to be talking about walls. Clarify that for me, please.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2020, 10:45 AM   #4
Sparky1968

Bathroom Renovation

I am refering to the walls. I will be taking out a Jacuzzi tub, so i will have to do some additional work in that area, but I was thinking if I could adhere new durock to the remainder of the existing tile and then install my new tile, it would save a lot of work. The existing walls are 1/2" durock with 1/4" tile and thinset. I have tried to remove a couple of tiles and it wrecked the durock behind.
Unread 04-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Not sure if I have the big picture correct, Gary, but if you remove the tub then there won't be anything on the lower section of walls where the tub was.

If that's the case you'd then need to somehow build up that lower section of wall to match the thickness of the tiled wall above.

To the best of my knowledge you cannot apply thinset mortar to the existing tile and then stick any brand backer board to the mortar.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Gary, I think you're gonna find that most of us who have done extensive remodeling work in our careers will tell you it's almost always easier/faster/better to remove everything that's currently in place and do it over rather than trying to piece together new and existing materials, trying to save time or money.

I'd recommend just that for your project. Remove everything down to the studs, straighten and plumb the framing as necessary, build your receptor according to your intended waterproofing method, install new wallboard appropriate to your waterproofing method, and proceed.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 04-13-2020, 07:45 AM   #7
Sparky1968

Bathroom Renovation

Thanks, guys for the information. My original plan was to remove everything down to the studs, but had 2nd thoughts. I will continue with my original plan.
Thanks, again.
Gary
Unread 05-05-2020, 06:08 AM   #8
Sparky1968

Bathroom Renovation

Good morning, All.
A few weeks ago, I asked about installing new durock over old (after removing tile) and you guys recommended taking it to the studs, which i did.
Moving along, i have re-framed everything and poured my 1st layer of deck mud last weekend.
When i mixed my sand and topping / sand mixture, i used the 5:1 ratio, BUT, i wasn't paying attention. Apparantly, the 5:1 is for straight motar and sand, correct? Not sand/topping mixture. Now, the 1st layer appears to be too "sandy".
Should i remove this and re-pour with the correct ratio? This (I hope) will be a great shower /bath for my wife and i need to correct mistakes as i go,
Thanks,

Gary
Unread 05-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Gary, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered.

The deck mud must be a ratio of about five parts sand to one part Portland cement. How you get there is entirely up to you. But if I understand your post, you mixed five parts sand with one part Sand Topping and that's not gonna work. Yes, you need to remove that and try again.

In our Liberry under Shower Construction you'll find a thread on how to use that Sand Topping mix and some sand to get a usable mixture.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 05-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #10
Sparky1968

Bathroom Renovation

Thanks!. I'll re-do this one. I wasn't sure if i needed to begin a new thread or add to the existing.
Thanks, again.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase