Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-31-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
Snowday

Shower base repair with Schluter linear drain

I recently had a new custom shower installed in my master bathroom: gutted the room and did a new build using Schluter waterproofing system, Kerdiline nearly flush to the wall, foam curb and sloped pan. The base, curb, and surround walls are all tiled with 18 x 18 ceramic tiles. Shortly after the contractor cleared out and cleanup was finished, I discovered the base had a low spot that pooled water. Checked with a level and there was a localized negative slope away from the drain. I don't think a water test was done or it would have been apparent.
Youtube video link.

I'm looking for the most effective ways to repair the slope problem. We requested the Schluter system for the install due to the reputation and warranty and I'd like the repair to be just as effective and warrantable. Several contacts have suggested options:
1 - Tile over the base
2 - Rebuild the base and tie in to the existing membranes

Of these options, what would be the pros/cons, especially any reduction in the long-term durability of the overall waterproofing? For example, I'm wondering how you could get around destroying the integrated Kerdiline membrane if trying to tile over the base. Wouldn't the existing drain need to be removed to fit it to the new height of the tiles, ensure good waste connection, and tie in the membranes to rest of the shower?

Other considerations: there is an alcove in the shower wall with a negative slope that has to be fixed, and the water supply and flow control protrusions did not have Schluter waterproofing collars (or any other material) put around them and may need to be opened up to waterproof them.

I'd appreciate your thoughts so I can push for this to be repaired effectively. Thanks guys.
Attached Images

Last edited by cx; 02-01-2016 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Add Link, Rotate Photos
Snowday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-31-2016, 10:19 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Ed.

I can't find your youtube. Just spell out the entire url with an extra space in the www and the first moderator to see it will light it up for you.

You'll be able to post links after a couple more posts. Anti-spam measure the site has in place.

Have you discussed this problem with your tile contractor?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
Snowday

Thanks for the tip, CX. The youtube link is www[dot]youtube[dot]com/watch?v=6Dv6p7tgwHY.

I've spoken to the tile contractor about it. He is very resistant to any corrective action. Basically, I have to educate myself on an appropriate fix to find a new contractor or to push for him to fix it properly. He was pretty caustic about the matter.

I've had to turn to online forums for advice because the contracting world in my area has turned out to be really small and the contractor relatively well known.

Last edited by cx; 02-01-2016 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Light up link
Snowday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

The contractor should be even more well known, Ed. An alleged "professional" leaving a product like that in a customer's home should be famous and I hope you'll eventually post his name and location here.

The only "fix" for that, unfortunately is a re-do. More unfortunately, that almost certainly means a new shower.

You've paid for this shower?

Unread 02-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I really hope that the shower hasn't been paid for in full. Especially after hearing the reaction from the installer. An extremely elementary mistake has been made and the correction is....unfortunately a re-do.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
Snowday

Unhappy

Yes - I paid my bills in full. There were a lot of threats being made and the contractor wasn't acting rational. I figured it would also strengthen my position in court (which it is), but I kind of regret paying him out.

I'm generally a good judge of character. Even after all references, internet reviews, and Better Business Bureau searches came up clean, I interviewed him in person and there were no red flags. As soon as the bad work showed up, though, everything went off the rails. I believe it could have been easily avoided.

In a world of most effective fixes, what risks would you see in tiling over the existing base? If I'm going to fight his suggestion that I do this (and that it will only cost $500 total), I want to be well armed.

Thanks for your comments guys.
Unread 02-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

LInk that works

Sorry to hear Ed, hopefully you can find a decent contractor though the forum of the NTCA. Keep track of how much it costs to fix the problem as that will be the amount you are suing for.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
Snowday

Thanks Houston. (always wanted to say that...preferably from some kind of space vehicle).
Unread 02-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Ed's two links work just fine for me, Paul.

Unread 02-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

They both work for me, as well. So...

Houston, we don't have a problem.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase