Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
geoErin

2" Kerdi board as shower wall questions

I am about to close on a 1890's Victorian, and the 2nd floor bath will be gutted. After reading a lot, I would like to be able to afford to use kerdi board for a brand new stand up shower. The bathroom is currently only 55" between the plaster walls and 10-feet long, with the door on one short wall and the future shower (with window) set to be on the other short wall.

Because the bathroom is so cramped, I want to make a shower the entire width the room, but I was originally planning on framing a new 24" wide wall to enclose one side of the 'front' of the shower so that I have a place to put the sink vanity. (Standing in front of the sink would mean facing towards the new wall and shower.)

However, after watching the video where a wall is made using 2" kerdi board, I want to know if I can make a kerdi board wall out of a single piece of 2" thick kerdi board (24.5"x8'), using appropriate profiles.

And if I can make the wall as a shower wall, do I have to tile the side of the kerdi board that is outside of the shower? (Other than perhaps an opening frame/to cover the metal profile)

And for a mostly theoretical question: Can a kerdi board wall (of necessary thickness?) ever be used to support the non-swinging side of a glass door frame?

THANKS!
Unread 11-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Kman

Hello, Erin. Welcome to the forum.

You could make that wall out of Kerdi board if you wish. Do you just need the extra space? If you had a Kerdi board wall with tile on one side, it would be about 2 1/2" thick. A standard wall with sheetrock on both sides and tile on one side would be about 5", so you'd save 2 1/2". Is that what you're going for?

You could tile just enough on the Kerdi board wall outside the shower to cover the profile that covers the end of the wall, provided it won't interfere with the placement of the vanity. You could cover the remaining exposed Kerdi board with sheetrock mud and paint it.

However, I would not use that wall to support a shower door, unless I could swing it from the other side. Would this be a frameless door?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
geoErin

I would like to save the 2 1/2", but I am also an inexperienced (but enthusiastic!) remodeler, and the video made the kerdi board wall creation look very easy.

However, if I want to attach a mirror or a light or something to the outside of the shower wall, it seems like I'll have to frame and board it anyway.

My partner thinks a 2 1/2" wall will look funny too.
Unread 11-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
geoErin

From the source - per Schluter Systems customer service

"KERDI-Board is designed to be used where the tile and stone application will be. We would not recommend painting the board in the way you mentioned below. "
Unread 11-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

This shower is still standing 5 or 6 years later.
Attached Images

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
Kman

Paul, I'm assuming there is a door on that shower. How was it attached?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

For now its a curtain, but I will get around to pitting a glass door on it some day.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase