Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
AuGratin

Neo Angle Heavy Shower Glass- U Clips

Hi Folks,

After six months of nights and weekends, I have finally finished my master bath remodel with Travertine! Without this forum, I would not have been able to do it. Thank you to all who contribute here. I now need advice for my shower enclosure:

I have a neo angle shower and we are installing frameless 3/8" heavy shower glass. The door will hinge to a wall and have a small 4" wide small fixed panel to close to. The small panel will have two U clips attached to the curb. My shower glass guy is saying that we DON'T need U clips to connect the glass to the curb on the two large fixed panels (one in the middle and one that attaches to the non-door wall. He says silicone only will be strong and safe and that fish tanks are held together by only silicone. There will be U clips on the fixed wall panel that attach to the vertical wall itself. No header is being used at all.

Does anyone with knowledge on glass know if this sounds like it will hold up and be safe for the long term? What if I have to cut out discolored or mildewy silicone and re-do it five years from now? A neo angle is already going to be a bit wobbly, wouldn't it help to have those clips?

Do you have any other advice on installation techniques that I should watch out for?

THANK YOU!
Attached Images

Unread 11-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Your glass guy is to be congratulated on knowing better than to poke mechanical fasteners through the waterproofing on your shower curb.

If he thinks the design of your enclosure requires nothing more than using silicone to secure the bottom of your glass panels, let him do that. Silicone sealants can bond surprisingly well to glass and ceramics.

He will be providing a warranty on the installation, yes?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
AuGratin

CX, thanks for your advice. Yes, a warranty exists and he is a reputable contractor who has been around for a long time.

He could probably silicone the U clips to the curb to avoid shooting screws through the horizontal surface I took great pains not to puncture with staples and lathe. He also could silicone the screw holes prior to installing them I suppose.
Unread 11-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

You absolutely never, ever, want any fasteners to penetrate the waterproofing layer of any horizontal surface in a wet area. Period. There is no need for it and no amount of silicone in the holes will guarantee you won't get water damage there.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

What CX said. If you have any doubts read this thread.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase