Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
TipsyGoat

Review of my plans for shower pls

Hello...wondering if someone can review what I think I should be doing and let me know yay or nay. We are redoing a complete enclosed shower due to rotted floor because they didn't use any waterproofing on anything.

We are down to studs and had to remove rotted OSB subfloor. We're doing the schluter kerdi shower tray kit with the kerdi drain as well. As I understand it, this can go right on top of the leveled subfloor...we're planning on 3/4 plywood unless someone suggests otherwise. Is this ok? I am not a fan of the OSB. Joists are 16" OC

Also I am tiling with 2" hex porcelain (daltile keystone) on floor. I know unmodified thinset is to be used with the kerdi system, can I use this unmodified thinset for tiling over the kerdi? I don't have my tiles yet so I don't know the manufacturer recommendations.

I am unclear if unmodified is used just to bond kerdi to itself and the substrate or if tile needs unmodified as well.

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

Not an expert, but I did do a Kerdi shower. I made my own pan (mud). Two reasons for this, one is that it's way cheaper. Two is that the subfloor has to be VERY flat to use the premade pan, since you are counting on the pan to have the right slope (and I've read that it's really close), so that if your subfloor isn't perfect, you won't have the right slope. I believe the critical place for unmodified is under/between the Kerdi, since there's little to know air penetration to allow the modifiers to cure. I think with small tiles modified can be used above. On recommendation on this site, my recollection is that I used Versabond everywhere.

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
Joe-Tile

Schluter recommends using either their own thinset or unmodified on everything. If you can get it their stuff is really good, if not use the best unmodified you can.
Joe-Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
TipsyGoat

Thanks for the responses. I am hoping I can get the subfloor perfectly level since I already bought the kit lol. And I know I can get the versabond here so I will use that.

We were planning on using a 2" hex for the shower floor but we've just been told it's out of stock for several weeks. I thought I read somewhere that using anything smaller would require building up of the subfloor? ...due to the extra grout lines in 1x1's. ...can anyone confirm that for me? What would I need to use then? We are trying not to add to the floor too much because we have height restrictions.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Leah.

I am aware of no tile size restriction when using Kerdi. You're perhaps thinking of Ditra?

I would recommend you go to the Schluter kerdi website Shower System Installation Handbook and read all the applicable sections before you continue with your project.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
TipsyGoat

Working my way through that site....thanks for the response and the welcome.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase