Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
n2tile

Glass Tile Steam Unit Problems

I am overseeing a re-install for a glass tiled steam shower. The initial problems involved cracked glass on the face on a tiled bench. The other problem is there seems to be "shadowing fingers" behind many of the glass tiles. I have also noticed that from the shower floor level coming up the walls +/- 8", it seems to be darker than the rest of the wall. The tiles used are a clear 5x5 (no backing) and I believe what I am seeing up on the walls is moisture behind the tiles in the thinset. The "graying" coming up from the floor is I believe moisture that is wicking from the floor mud. The cracking I think is coming from movement somewhere.... either expansion in the tiles and no soft joints in the corners or possibly moisture has gotten to the bench substrat and caused some expansion. I was not involved in the initial installation but will be over seeing the re-do. What should I be looking for if there is fault in the initial install and how do I keep this from happening again? Until the tear out begins I will not know for sure but believe the walls are over durock and have been told it was waterproofed as well. The floor was installed over a mud bed, like many others, probably with the shower pan flat on the floor. The re-install will be glass again but this time a 4x4 glass with a white backing will be used. I will post other comments as the project begins. Your comments are welcomed!!!!!
- Carl
n2tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
The Kid

Carl, look into one of the newer shower systems such as schluter kerdi or a liquid membrane with divot method. both will eliminate any chance of wicking up walls. Also it is absoulutly important to contact the glass manufacture and install their products to spec. Good Luck.

Cascade Tileworks,llc
Licensed, Bonded & Insured
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
n2tile

Jeremy- thanks for the quick response! I am familiar with the schluter kerdi but can you explain the "divot method"? Is this an installer's slang I may know as something else?
-Carl
n2tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
The Kid

Check here, see matt crestones pic on post #44

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...t=72403&page=3

Cascade Tileworks,llc
Licensed, Bonded & Insured
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Foochacho
Wood and Tile Contractor

No way would I do large glass tile in a steamer. You will probally experience the same problems the second time around.

http://www.rocksolidflooring.net/thi...glasstile.html

Check out chris's (rocksolid) page off of his website. To help you realize some of the problems involved with glass showers.
Unread 01-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
little rhody

glass tile

carl i just finished a steam shower with 3+6 subway glass. we used kirdi and then skimed membrane with laticrete 254. we let the skim coat dry for about one week before tiling. started installing the glass by trowling on thinset with a v notch trowel, flat trowling it then back buttering each tile. about two or three days after install we started to see the thinset drying cloudy. we waited about two weeks to grout it. it almost dried completely and the customer was happy with the way it looked. i guess i got lucky. to tell you the truth i wouldn't put large body glass in a steam room again. let us know how you make out. dave

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase