Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-10-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
Meghols

Help! Total amateur trying to tile tile-redi pan and kerdi board walls

Hi! I would really appreciate any advice on the best approach to applying subway tiles to the set up we have in the picture. We installed a tile redi shower pan and kerdi board walls and joined with a silicone beading. We used modified thin set mortar for setting tiles on the rest of the bathroom walls (either concrete board or drywall). I was planning to try to place a tile over the silicone join but in researching if I can use the tile-redi epoxy on the kerdi board or vice versa the mortar on the tile-redi pan it does not seem either is an option. I also learned that I can’t use modified thin set mortar on the kerdi board. So, what is the best way I go about this? Do I...
1. Apply the epoxy to the tile redi pan and mortar to the kerdi board and just place a tile over both (I don’t think I could back butter the tile in this case).
Or
2. Give up on having a tile cover the join and apply epoxy to the tile-redi pan and just tile from the edge down. And use mortar on the kerdi board and tile from the join up. In other word my grout line would be where the silicone bead is.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Attached Images

Unread 04-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Megan,

I didn't even know Tile-Ready made pans that have walls on them like that.

So are the Kerdi-board and the wall of the pan on the same plane? Are they even with each other? If they are, I would use the epoxy just enough to get past your joint and then switch to thinset.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #3
Meghols

Hi,
Thanks for responding, John! Yes they are on the same plane, thankfully they are the same thickness. So sounds like I can epoxy just a little above the tile-redi walls and put a tile over the join? Once I’ve done that then I’ll move on to mortar for the kerdi board. Great! Problem solved!
Unread 04-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Megan,

If you have some Kerdi-band I would place a strip over that joint. I'm not really trustful of the caulking.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2021, 02:59 PM   #5
MrBottleneck

Quote:
Meghols, also learned that I can’t use modified thin set mortar on the kerdi board
That is incorrect you can use Schluter All-Set which is a modified thinset.
https://sccpublic.s3-external-1.amaz...20Handbook.pdf
Unread 04-12-2021, 08:29 AM   #6
Meghols

OH, yes I did read I can use the All-Set which is modified. I forgot about that. That wasn't the thin set I was using on the bathroom walls with the concrete board so I was just glad I didn't automatically start using the wrong thing. Anyway, I got an unmodified thin set and it's working nicely.
Unread 04-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #7
Meghols

Hi John, I missed your last message about applying kerdi-band over the joint. Hopefully, it's not the end of the world that I didn't do it. I did take your advice and applied the epoxy just above the joint before applying the tiles from the shower pan upwards, I really do hate that epoxy and won't use tile redi pan again because of it, at least not one with walls.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase