Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-16-2021, 01:31 PM   #91
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Schluter says you can lay Kerdimat on a mud pan as soon as it’s safe to walk on. Mapei says the mud is OK to walk on after 16h.
Well, if you're using Schluter's membrane and MAPEI's mortar, I think you have your answer, non?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2021, 05:58 PM   #92
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Sorry I'm late to the party gang. I haven't seen my computer in the last handful of days.

To clear up the lath/no lath debate; in most unbonded mortar bed scenarios, we want expanded metal lath or welded wire mesh at approximately the middle of the mortar bed.

Now, TCNA recently updated their curbless shower details with a statement off to the side that reads: "For mortar beds over 65 S.F. wire reinforcing is required."

This is a good rule of thumb, as our opinion is that most smaller shower pans are not large enough to really require reinforcement. That's not to say no shower pan ever needs reinforcement, it is just more of a case-by-case basis. We would not be surprised if that that above statement found its way to other shower receptor details in the coming editions of the TCNA handbook.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2021, 06:08 PM   #93
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden
in most unbonded mortar bed scenarios, we want expanded metal lath or welded wire mesh at approximately the middle of the mortar bed.
That expanded metal lath in that statement is the part I took issue with, Holden. Yes, you would want welded wire in the vertical center of an unbonded mud bed, but expanded metal lath use the same way? You are not concerned that you are creating a shear plane rather than reinforcement?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #94
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

CX,
I'll dig into it some more tomorrow with the powers that be; but we have made this recommendation for years with no issues that I am aware of with it.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #95
MesaTileworks

Question about cure time before grouting:

I’ve got 3x6 ceramic subway tile on shower walls and 2” hex floor tile that I’m finishing up in the next couple of days. Been setting the tile with Mapei Ultraflex mortar (except for a few areas where stone has been laid over kerdi using unmodified as per Schluter recommendations).

Mapei instructions say 16-24 hours for foot traffic on the Ultraflex but I just had an inconclusive convo with a Mapei rep about minimum cure time on either or both mortars before grouting. Any recommendations? Is 16h enough? 24? More?

I’ve mostly used the “OK to grout the day after setting tile” rule of thumb... we are rushing to meet a deadline and don’t want to slice it too thin—but do want to grout as soon as possible.

I do have some rapid set on site so that’s also an option.
MesaTileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #96
MesaTileworks

(On past projects I’ve often left some extra cure-time out of a probable over-abundance of caution, but this one has a tight deadline...)
MesaTileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #97
Jason@mapei
Jason Cantin Mapei Technical rep

Mapei Mortar

When mortar dries and cures it is releasing the water of convenience that is in the mortar, It usually does so top and bottom. when installing over a membrane and using porcelain tile this will retard the release of extra water, so cure time will vary. This is especially a problem with large porcelain tile. Each application will also be affected by ambient conditions.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase