Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #61
cx
Moderator emeritus

1. Depends, of course, on the particular tile, but the sharp top edge of a rectified porcelain tile might well chip more easily than the pillowed or rounded edge of even a softer glazed porcelain tile.

2. The requirement is to clean the grout joint completely to a depth of at least two-thirds the thickness of the tile.

3. Without knowing what's causing the "bump," I can't say what the bet remedy might be.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2020, 05:05 AM   #62
Stuart

Hi,

The bump in the kerdiband is from too much thinset mortar applied. I think because the build up is in the lower end of the band near the tub, I did not do a good job of allowing it to squeeze out.

The two end walls are fine, the center wall has a build up of approx. 1/8-3/16" in the middle of the kirdi band.

The rest of the wall (middle of kerdi band on up) is flat except in this one area.

Thnk you
Unread 11-08-2020, 05:30 AM   #63
Stuart

Hi,

Bumping my question about if the "bump " in my kerdi band is too much to overcome to tile in this place. I know the wall is suppose to be flat.

The rest of the wall (middle of kerdi band on up) is flat (top picture).

The gap is about 1/4 at the widest point (lower picture)

The bump in the kerdiband is from too much thinset mortar applied. I think because the build up is in the lower end of the band near the tub, I did not do a good job of allowing it to squeeze out.

Name:  wall 2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  17.1 KB

Name:  wall 3.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  17.3 KB

Thank you

Last edited by Stuart; 11-08-2020 at 05:54 AM. Reason: update
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2020, 07:52 AM   #64
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
A 1/4" is kind of a lot, Stewart.

What size tile are you planning to use for that surround?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #65
smifwal

Cut that section out and do a new piece with a 2 in overlap on each side of it
Unread 11-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #66
Stuart

Thank you..just wanted to check before doing the re-work

for my info...do larger tiles > 12 x 12, make it easier or harder when the surface is not flat? I would think easier because of the "thicker" (larger notch trowel) bed of mortar under them?
Unread 11-08-2020, 02:14 PM   #67
cx
Moderator emeritus

More difficult to set larger format tiles over un-flat surfaces. Easier to set smaller tiles, but they tend to follow the contour of the surface and make an un-flat installation. Best to have flat tiles and flat substrate regardless the size of your tiles.

Using the larger notch trowels is generally done to compensate for either the tile or the substrate being less than suitably flat. It can help, but that comes with other difficulties, 'specially for the novice tiler.

Unread 11-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #68
Stuart

Hi,

I grouted my floor using Flexcolor CQ. All went well...as they say, very important to clean as you go, doing a small area at a time and clean the sponge after each swipe. I used a sponge with a microcloth on the back side. It cleaned the tiles real well.

Question on grout height. Being my first time, I am wondering how high should the grout be? Most of my grout is about 1/16" below the top of the tile.

One of the nice things about Flexcolor CQ is you can go back and add addtional grout later, for low spots. Is 1/16" acceptable or is it on the high end?

As always...thank you for the input
Attached Images

Unread 11-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #69
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
There is probably a standard that suggests how full the grout joints should be, but darn if I know what it is. But 1/16th, if that's what your photo shows, seems a bit low to me, Stewart.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #70
cx
Moderator emeritus

When you locate that standard, Dan, do point it out. I've spent much time looking for it.

What I've actually found in trying to answer that question is ANSI A108.10, Installation of Grout in Tilework-2017. Under 5.3 Installing Grout, 5.3.3........"Force a maximum amount of grout into the joints." 5.3.4 "All grout joints shall be uniformly finished. Cushion edge tile shall be finished evenly to the depth of the cushion."

Apparently that is supposed to be sufficient information to guide the tile setter in finishing his grout joints. I don't find any information on that question in the TCNA Handbook, either. Maybe Gobis will stop by and 'splain us what I've missed all these years.

In Stuart's situation, I'd say if you are happy with it, it's just right. But apparently you're questioning that, in which case I'd recommend you try to "fix" it. With the grout you're using that's theoretically possible at least. Finishing any kind of grout such that it is completely flush with the face of the tiles is a skill that has always eluded me. I suppose there are folks out there who can make that happen consistently, but I ain't one of'em.

Unread 11-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #71
Stuart

Hi,

I did add some a few days later. Raised it, not quite flush, but happy the way it looks. As you say, flush requires a good technique and experience as to not wash any of the grout away from the space as you clean the excess grout off the tile face. I found the angle of the sponge made a difference, less angle left more in the space, but didn't clean the tile face as well. Cleaning the grout was a bit more challenging because less grout was used and it dried up faster. Had to clean only 3-4 minutes after applying additional grout. This was easy for me to do, as my total area is only 40 sq feet. A few swipes with a sponge and then the microcloth side did the trick. I used original strength window about 2 hours later to easily remove any grout residue on the tile.

Thank you again for the advice.
Unread 11-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #72
cx
Moderator emeritus

Steward, for most of the cleaning of grout on a tile installation there should be no "angle" at all on your sponge. The sponge should be used flat on the tile surface. That's one of the things that will best allow you to keep fuller joints.

Unread 11-15-2020, 03:05 AM   #73
Kman

One of the grout cleaning systems works better than a regular sponge. I used the Barwalt system for years, and still use it on rare occasions when I'm doing floors.

The difference is that no matter how hard you push down, it puts an even amount of pressure over the whole sponge, which is about a foot long, so there's little chance that you'll dig into the grout joint with it.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #74
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

And while I don’t see them often, cellulose grouting sponges are superior to the “regular” grouting sponges. They are stiffer, so they don’t conform down into the grout joints...leaving them fuller. And because they are stiffer, they more readily clean stuck-on grout from the face of the tile (assuming you’ve got a flat, not deeply textured tile).

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2020, 09:08 AM   #75
smifwal

I bought my first sigma cutter from protiler great family owned business. They sent me one of these
https://www.protilertools.co.uk/prod...-sponge-391428
and this one
https://www.protilertools.co.uk/prod...th-slits-20932

They super long lasting sponges way better than a traditional sponge but freight from over the pond to here is pricey. A great alternative is the Ardex sponge (https://www.protilertools.co.uk/prod...g-sponge)which is readily available here in the states.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase